Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable mishap today

78gs1000E

Strange thing happened just a while ago. I was riding around in town and all of a sudden my throttle went slack and the bike came to an idle.

After pulling over and investigating I found that the cable had busted at the mechanism. (I recently put a new one on because the original was frayed. Deland Suzuki 10/12 $19.43)

I ended up putting a screwdriver under the mechanism to give me an intermediate idle and limped home using the clutch and brakes.

I just took everything apart and found that the one PULL cable that had snapped off at the motor end was only half the problem. The other cable had also come apart at the end inside the throttle assembly.

There seems to be no obstruction in the mechanism at the motor or throttle assembly. I am baffled... and also hoping I can find someone local that has a couple reasonably priced cables here in Dallas/Fort Worth.

As an add on question. I have found that riding this weekend is out since I cannot find the cables locally. does anyone have experience with the different brands of replacement cables?

The prices are all over the place from $12 on ebay and other vendors....to $20 for Motion Pro brand and to $37 here at a STEALERSHIP.
    Last edited by Gregory; 07-06-2013, 02:55 PM.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Motion Pro are tough to beat. They can even do custom work.

Comment

Motion Pro works, but Suzuki cables are far better. Did you grease the cable ends so they don't have to bend everytime you move the throttle?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Motion Pro works, but Suzuki cables are far better. Did you grease the cable ends so they don't have to bend everytime you move the throttle?

Nope but I sure will this time !

Since the other cables are so expensive, I am thinking about buying 4 of the cheap ones then I would have two spares handy.

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

Wish you were closer..I got a new set still in the plastic wrappers I would give you.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Why not call G&S Suzuki - They are out in Wichita Falls and just as good on the pricing as Boulevard.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

He might want cables this year.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X