X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side stand safety switch spring???- 750T

I cant figure this thing out!
    I don't have one on the 1000.
    The manual picture is black. Can't see a thing. Can't find a photo online.
    Where the heck do you hook that wire/spring thing?

Does anyone have a picture?

Not sure that the switch has an external spring.
    The ones that I have seen were all self-contained, just bolt them in place and connect the wires.

The sidestand itself has a spring, that one should be rather obvious.

Your 1000 won't have the sidestand switch because that feature started with the '82 models.

By the way, it's not much of a "safety" switch, it only turns on a "side stand" light on the instrument panel.
    If it were a true "safety" switch, it would kill the ignition if the sidestand is down and the bike is not in neutral.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, I think it's actually called the "side stand check light switch".
      It just actuates the red light, like you said.

There is a thin wire with coil spring that looks like it's supposed to link the stand to the switch so that it pulls on it when the stand is down. But I can't see any obvious place to hook it.

Comment

Ok. I guessed that, but the spring is too long. Must be the wrong one.
        Thanks!

Comment

Sorry I am not near the bike for a photo. I checked out this link for help but didn't see what I think you are looking for. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=nation

Maybe one of those owners will respond and of course get your photos posted.
          Hondas
          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
          Suzuki
          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
          Kaw
          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Working on it...

Originally posted by yasser View Post
            Sorry I am not near the bike for a photo. I checked out this link for help but didn't see what I think you are looking for. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=nation

Maybe one of those owners will respond and of course get your photos posted.
            I'll post up a close up I have shortly...

Here is my dirty picture:

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              That looks a LOT like the rear brake light switch and actuator spring.

Might be the correct one for your bike, but I don't see what is supposed to pull the spring to activate the switch.

OK, I just looked at a parts fiche, it appears to be correct, but I still can't tell you where to hook the spring.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yup, Eds picture is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by KKBS
                  That is how it attaches. The loop at the top of the side stand spring is 'sort of oval' in shape and when the side stand is in the up position, the oval shape is such that the spring on the switch is able to contract. The plunger / contact in the switch moves in an eighth of an inch or so....light goes out.
                  OK, I had to zoom in quite a way to see that extra "ear" at the top of the stand spring.

Now it makes sense.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Replies

That is how it attaches. The loop at the top of the side stand spring is 'sort of oval' in shape and when the side stand is in the up position, the oval shape is such that the spring on the switch is able to contract. The plunger / contact in the switch moves in an eighth of an inch or so....light goes out.
                    Thanks for explaining this...I couldn't have done it any better.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    OK, I had to zoom in quite a way to see that extra "ear" at the top of the stand spring.

Now it makes sense.

I took another picture from my spare "T". This one you can see the oval shape spring connector without zooming in too much.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

That's Awesome!

GSXR7ED, from one Air Force guy to another, you are welcome.
                      Enjoy your 2-day trip and ride safe!

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Hey thanks guys! That's exactly what I needed to know!

Comment

Working...
                        X