79 550 - Oil pan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 550 - Oil pan replacement

I recently changed the oil on my '79 GS550 and stripped the threading out of drain plug hole (not the bolt). I was able to get it to my regular car mechanic, who does a little bike work but is by no means a pro, and he put in a self-tapping bolt. He was convinced it would hold until the next time I change the oil, at which point I'd need to get the hole re-drilled and move to a bigger bolt, but the pan is now leaking a few drops of oil a day. It's not a major leak and there are no cracks in the pan, but I do have a slowly spreading stain underneath the bike and it could blow out under pressure.

I can get an oil pan for about $30 on ebay. I haven't talked to my bike mechanic about re-threading my current pan yet, but I'm guessing it will cost a bit more than that. Is an oil pan replacement the kind of fix I can do myself?

Stripped oil pan drain bolt is very common- auto parts stores sell a helicoil type insert just for this purpose. I'm surprised your auto mechanic didn't go this route instead of jamming a oversize bolt in there- as this problem happens on cars all the time. The oil pan is not under pressure- it's just the gravity weight of oil which is small. For a quickee fix you could drain oil and add a gasket/oring under his bolt to stop leak.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by kulchur View Post
      I recently changed the oil on my '79 GS550 and stripped the threading out of drain plug hole (not the bolt). I was able to get it to my regular car mechanic, who does a little bike work but is by no means a pro, and he put in a self-tapping bolt. He was convinced it would hold until the next time I change the oil, at which point I'd need to get the hole re-drilled and move to a bigger bolt, but the pan is now leaking a few drops of oil a day. It's not a major leak and there are no cracks in the pan, but I do have a slowly spreading stain underneath the bike and it could blow out under pressure.

I can get an oil pan for about $30 on ebay. I haven't talked to my bike mechanic about re-threading my current pan yet, but I'm guessing it will cost a bit more than that. Is an oil pan replacement the kind of fix I can do myself?
      Check your PM.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Straight off BassCliff's website: stripped oil drain plug repair

Comment

Make sure you put a new sealing washer/gasket to the drain plug. I have a few extra if you want, just shoot me a PM with your address
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wonder if he got my PM
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Nope. Hasn't been on since 2:30.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                Nope. Hasn't been on since 2:30.
                Wonder if he knows where to check for PMs lol.
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                  Wonder if he knows where to check for PMs lol.
                  Well, if he logs in again, he'll see the dialog box that takes him straight to the PM section.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Well, if he logs in again, he'll see the dialog box that takes him straight to the PM section.
                    Yup he got it...
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

Working...
                    X