Greasing Fork Tubes to Slide into Headlight Ears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greasing Fork Tubes to Slide into Headlight Ears

During my quest to get ahead of myself last night, I realized I had not put my headlight mounts on the bike before sliding the forks into the triple trees. Which means I also forgot to install the new rubber into those mounts replacing my old beat up stuff. Once I installed the rubber, I tried to test fit the forks through them and found it to be a little difficult to slide them in easily.

Would it be okay to LIGHTLY grease the insides of the rubber mount cushions with some marine grease or lubricating oil before installing the forks? I only ask because I don't want to do anything that might also hurt the fork inner tubes in the process.

Thanks
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Lube away, I use an O-Ring lubricant myself
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      . Once I installed the rubber, I tried to test fit the forks through them and found it to be a little difficult to slide them in easily.
      No reason not to add some lube. That can be a frustrating job unless you have an assistant. I've always had good luck with aerosol silicone when dealing a with rubber vs. metal sliding fit.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I lube the rubber and the forks, then wipe off the excess when I'm done.

Comment

Working...
        X