Not doubting, but wonder why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not doubting, but wonder why?

In measuring valve clearances, I did as you guys say. #1 exhaust parallel to the head, pointing forward which also puts #2 exhaust pointing up. Measure both in that position. Similar positions for measuring the others, doing 2 at a time.

If I measure exhaust #1 pointing up, the gap is looser. The same is true for the others that are measured from parallel.

I'm wondering if this method is just for convenience and close enough, or is there something related to the timing? Wouldn't the valves be completely closed at the very bottom of the lobe or should some be completely closed when the lobe is parallel to the head?

I know you guys have logged many miles doing it this way and I don't doubt this is correct. I'm just wanting to understand the reason.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

By measuring two at a time, you put less pressure on the cams to get a better gap. You probably get more clearance because three valves push against the cam instead of two, when #1 is pointing up.

Comment

The valve is completely closed as soon as there is no contact between the cam and the shim. I am not an internal combustion engine design engineer but I believe that the designed dwell of the cam lobe would dictate whether or not the clearance should be constant from 90 to 270 deg. On my XJs at least, this is not always true (I havent tested this on the GS yet). I always follow the service manual for valve check procedure. If the manual says 180 deg. for checks that's what I do. Clymer's GS manual says rotate until the cam is perpendicular to the cylinder head surfaces(180 deg.).

This is just one person's opinion and as there are more than a few here who follow the method you are referring to, I assume we would have heard from someone if it did not work well.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmy40 View Post
        The valve is completely closed as soon as there is no contact between the cam and the shim. I am not an internal combustion engine design engineer but I believe that the designed dwell of the cam lobe would dictate whether or not the clearance should be constant from 90 to 270 deg. On my XJs at least, this is not always true (I havent tested this on the GS yet). I always follow the service manual for valve check procedure. If the manual says 180 deg. for checks that's what I do. Clymer's GS manual says rotate until the cam is perpendicular to the cylinder head surfaces(180 deg.).

This is just one person's opinion and as there are more than a few here who follow the method you are referring to, I assume we would have heard from someone if it did not work well.
        Most of the guys here use the method I spoke of, which comes from the factory manual. The Clymer manual has a different procedure which is perpendicular to the head for all valves. It seems the factory manual method would give you more clearance for some valves than for the others.
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That's good to know. I haven't gotten my hands on a Suzuki Factory Service Manual yet so the Clymer's is my only reference for the GS.

Haynes and Yamaha are in agreement on this procedure for the XJ YICS engines. I guess I just assumed(I know, I know!) that Clymer would mirror Suzuki as well.

Comment

Download the free FSM from BassCliff's site
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

reason

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Download the free FSM from BassCliff's site
              I have this. What I want to know is why this method is considered better.
              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I can't say which way is "better" but with the factory specified way to do it. I believe is to make it faster when working with the flat rate times that are specified for each model and are close enough and mostly within specs. Myself and when the customers complain of excessive noise in that area. I will slowly rotate the engine and find the loosest point the (heel) of each cam lobe and adj. it there. With performance cams that have been degreed I will set each cylinder at T.D.C. and adj. to specs there. Since it is looser and noise is not an issue.
                Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 09-01-2013, 03:37 PM.
                sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

The Suzuki method puts two adjacent valves on the base circle at the same time. Using the 180* method this is not the case; the adjacent valve spring is pushing up on the cam and skewing it within the cam bearing journal clearance. Suzuki designed the engine so I use their method. It's faster too than the 180* method since you don't have to rotate the engine as many times. Of course, do as you like.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Several guesses here, Nessism finally hit the proper reason.

When the cam lobes are in the proper positions, there is no deflection on that side of the cam, which give you more-consistent measurements.

And it's quicker.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There it is!

I knew there was a good reason!
                      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                      X