Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long between valve check and carb sync?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long between valve check and carb sync?

From my understanding, it is not super imperative to have the carbs synced "immediately" following a valve adjustment, correct?

I plan on having them synced, but don't have the Manometer to do it currently.
    I may just pay a shop 30 minutes labor to knock it out for me actually.

The bike is running great, very smooth, fires right up, holds idle well.....
    So I guess my question is...
    How soon should I get the carbs synced?
    I plan on it, just wondering how soon it needs to be done.

Thanks !!

I've gone a couple of months after before but the engine vibrated a lot through the handlebars. Do it when you can or if someone is close by and has a tool offer up a beer or something and then watch/help them while they do it
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      I've gone a couple of months after before but the engine vibrated a lot through the handlebars. Do it when you can or if someone is close by and has a tool offer up a beer or something and then watch/help them while they do it
      Handlebar vibration seems minimal after the valve adjustment.
      I think it really helped smooth things out.
      However, I suppose the carbs probably still need to be sync'd.

There are lots of shops here ~ should be able to get it done quick, but I don't know any local mechanics......yet!

Comment

Originally posted by aaaaaaaaaachooo View Post
        Handlebar vibration seems minimal after the valve adjustment.
        I think it really helped smooth things out.
        However, I suppose the carbs probably still need to be sync'd.

There are lots of shops here ~ should be able to get it done quick, but I don't know any local mechanics......yet!
        I'd wait until you find a local to work with you. There's no hurry if it runs OK. Much easier to find someone with the tools if you posted a location. A shop won't teach you anything about your bike, and couldn't care less how well it runs. Most won't work on a bike that old. Some will screw it up on purpose to help sell a new bike.
        Most of us won't go there for ANYTHING.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          I'd wait until you find a local to work with you. There's no hurry if it runs OK. Much easier to find someone with the tools if you posted a location. A shop won't teach you anything about your bike, and couldn't care less how well it runs. Most won't work on a bike that old. Some will screw it up on purpose to help sell a new bike.
          Most of us won't go there for ANYTHING.
          Yeah, this was definitely the question I was trying to ask.
          If it's running great, I guess there is no rush...

I've got a neighbor with a bike, but doubtful he has a manometer.
          I suppose I could ask!!
          (Location is up by the way, thanks!)

Comment

There are quite a few on this forum in Florida someplace. I bet you can find one easily enough.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              There are quite a few on this forum in Florida someplace. I bet you can find one easily enough.
              Thanks man. I suppose if it were running crappy it would be a much more pressing issue. For now since it's running great, I guess I'll aim for sometime in the next couple months.

Appreciate all the info on these forums. Cliff's got a great site as well.
              Awesome amount of knowledge spread throughout.

<3 to my fellow GS <3'ers. lol

Comment

Thanks man. I suppose if it were running crappy it would be a much more pressing issue. For now since it's running great, I guess I'll aim for sometime in the next couple months.

Appreciate all the info on these forums. Cliff's got a great site as well.
                Awesome amount of knowledge spread throughout.

Find out what the shop charges for a synch. If it's more than $50, just buy a Carbtune for about $100, and do it yourself. Synching carbs with the Carbtune is dead easy, and you'll need to do it after every valve adjustment and/or thorough carb cleaning.

Comment

For the two or three of us that don't speak "text", would somebody please translate?
                  <3 to my fellow GS <3'ers.
                  I see that as "less than three to my fellow GS less than three'ers." and it simply does NOT make any sense.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    For the two or three of us that don't speak "text", would somebody please translate?

I see that as "less than three to my fellow GS less than three'ers." and it simply does NOT make any sense.

It's a heart. A show of affection that may not be familiar to some . . .

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                      It's a heart. A show of affection that may not be familiar to some . . .
                      Still doesn't make much sense.

"Heart to my fellow GS heart'ers".

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Translation:
                        "Love to my fellow GS lovers" lol

Comment

Beats me !

Comment

Working...
                          X