Chain Tensioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Tensioning

I just put on a new D.I.D. HDS 530 chain (non-O-ring) on the bike. I've been tensioning it every 200 miles or so and am finding that it looses up quite a bit... going from 1" slack to maybe 3" in that short amount of time.

Since it's been a while doing this, I'd like to ask what would be the normal stretch-in period for a new chain of this quality? I have about 700 miles on this chain so far.

Thanks,
    Bwanna

Not sure about that particular chain, but a high quality modern O-ring type chain, on fresh sprockets, should last 20k miles or so if you took care of it properly on a bike like a 450.

Are you keeping it lubed and did you change the sprockets at the same time you installed the new chain?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Chain Tensioning

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Not sure about that particular chain, but a high quality modern O-ring type chain, on fresh sprockets, should last 20k miles or so if you took care of it properly on a bike like a 450.

Are you keeping it lubed and did you change the sprockets at the same time you installed the new chain?
      Yes, regularly lubed this. I wasn't able to change the sprocket at the time as I had to replace the chain, didn't have the new sprocket yet, and had to have the bike running because I commute with it. However, UPS just delivered the new sprockets last night, so I'll be putting them on asap.
      The old sprockets are a little worn, but not horrible.

Comment

My first gs (1100e) came to me with a cheapo non o ring chain. Even with lube I had to adjust it regularly.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Chain Tensioning

I'm curious what everyone's opinion is about adding an automatic chain tensioner? I know this doesn't eliminate the need to keep the chain properly tensioned, nor having to check it regularly.

Just curious of anyone's experience using these?

Comment

Here is my take on your original post:
            First, you failed to install a quality o-ring chain. It is common knowledge this is a false economy, since they do not last as long as an o-ring chain.
            Second, you failed to install new sprockets even though you knew the old ones were worn. Now the new chain has seated into the worn sprockets. This combination of a non-o-ring chain and worn sprockets is why it is stretching so quickly.
            If you install new sprockets with the chain seated into worn sprockets, it will wear the new sprockets quickly, and you will be replacing everything again very quickly.

The real solution is to purchase a quality o-ring chain and install it with the new sprockets.
            Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              Here is my take on your original post:
              First, you failed to install a quality o-ring chain. It is common knowledge this is a false economy, since they do not last as long as an o-ring chain.
              Second, you failed to install new sprockets even though you knew the old ones were worn. Now the new chain has seated into the worn sprockets. This combination of a non-o-ring chain and worn sprockets is why it is stretching so quickly.
              If you install new sprockets with the chain seated into worn sprockets, it will wear the new sprockets quickly, and you will be replacing everything again very quickly.

The real solution is to purchase a quality o-ring chain and install it with the new sprockets.
              Best of luck.
              I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Comment

"break-in period" is just the time it takes to squeeze the factory grease out and replace it with a concoction of patented oils and dirt. After that it's wear. Your chain will settle down to wearing pretty soon, given 700 miles.
                Personally,my sprockets were pretty good and I'm happy enough to wear out another DID plain-chain on them..rather than spend the big $ just yet....but I did change mine before it or the sprockets were "bad", trusting the ol' rule:" two chains per sprocket set".
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                  "break-in period" is just the time it takes to squeeze the factory grease out and replace it with a concoction of patented oils and dirt. After that it's wear. Your chain will settle down to wearing pretty soon, given 700 miles.
                  Personally,my sprockets were pretty good and I'm happy enough to wear out another DID plain-chain on them..rather than spend the big $ just yet....but I did change mine before it or the sprockets were "bad", trusting the ol' rule:" two chains per sprocket set".
                  That's really good info. I did get both a new chain and sprockets. This D.I.D. chain was actually freebie from a local MC shop. They had it in stock for a while and didn't see a need to keep it. Despite asking for just a master clip (which he didn't have) he gave me the chain just to get out of his way. I hate to think I wasted his gift by putting on the current sprockets for just these relatively few miles.

Comment

I have 12,000 miles on my chain, close to 50% dirt roads, and have not had to adjust the chain tension yet.

One inch of slack is too tight, that kills chains.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

chain tension

Well, I changed the sprockets and chain. Both new and it rides like a dream. I even adjusted the gearing to increase it 17/45 by almost 4% over stock (16/43). The results are perfect. As background this is a 450 except I swapped the jugs and pistons with a 500. Combined the increase hp translates well with the new gearing.

Thanks to all for the feedback and brutal truth.

Cheers!

Comment

Congrats. You should see between 20k-30k out of the set as long as you keep it properly cleaned, lubed, and adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          Congrats. You should see between 20k-30k out of the set as long as you keep it properly cleaned, lubed, and adjusted.

Lubed and adjusted I think I have down. But let me ask, do you recommend taking the chain off and doing a soak type cleaning/relubing? If so, on what schedule?
                          Thanks!

Comment

I wouldn't soak it... risk blowing the grease out from behind the O rings plus my time is more valuable than that.

Chain cleaner or WD40, quick brush & a rag & then relube.

I have at least 15k on my GS chain & coming up to similar on my KLR doing this (which goes in the dirt, is a thumper & uses a skiny 520 chain).
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Chain cleaner is available at Lowes (DuPont brand).
                              I personally would not use a penetrant on an o-ring chain, as it can wash away the grease inside the o-rings, which lube cannot replace.
                              I use a rag that I put some kerosene on, wiping down the chain as I rotate the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X