Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Just Shut Off, and Bike Won't Start!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Just Shut Off, and Bike Won't Start!!!

Hey guys, I was riding my bike the other day back from the gym.
    Suddenly the bike lost power and the motor shut off.
    I noticed I wasn't getting spark at #4 yesterday immediately after it occurred.
    This led me to believe it could be a coil/wire/cap issue. However, today I noticed that i have spark on all 4 cylinders.....????

The bike will not start. Apparently I have spark...
    It doesn't even sound like the motor is wanting to fire up.
    Not sure where to start looking.....

I will check the battery voltage, but not sure what would cause the bike to shut off mid-ride!!! Will be pulling the tank tomorrow to investigate....

Got gas?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Got gas?
      Yeah.
      Checked the carbs for gas too.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaaaaaaaachooo View Post
        Hey guys, I was riding my bike the other day back from the gym.
        Suddenly the bike lost power and the motor shut off.
        I noticed I wasn't getting spark at #4 yesterday immediately after it occurred.
        This led me to believe it could be a coil/wire/cap issue. However, today I noticed that i have spark on all 4 cylinders.....????

The bike will not start. Apparently I have spark...
        It doesn't even sound like the motor is wanting to fire up.
        Not sure where to start looking.....

I will check the battery voltage, but not sure what would cause the bike to shut off mid-ride!!! Will be pulling the tank tomorrow to investigate....
        Guessing here. Dodgy connection in the ignition circuit. Killed motor no spark. Weak spark later on all four, but insufficient to fire up.

Comment

Humor me. Put a couple drops of gasoline into the spark plug hole, put the plugs back in and see if it fires a time or two..

Comment

Not getting spark on #4 and then spark coming back suggests a problem with the fire side of the equation. When you got no spark on #4, did you have spark on 1-3?

Fully charge the battery, check to make sure you're getting full voltage to the coils. Weak spark will make these bikes act like they get no spark at all, so you can see spark and still not have enough spark to make her run. And that can happen in the middle of a ride, depending on the health of your electrical system.

Comment

Humor me. Put a couple drops of gasoline into the spark plug hole, put the plugs back in and see if it fires a time or two..
              Could be, probably is, but doesn't explain the no spark the OP stated.

Comment

Some of these GSes run fine with no visible spark at all. Don't know why but I've seen a few like that. If it's sparking now and still won't run, it's likely not a spark issue. Unless the plugs are so fouled that it can't spark inside the engine but it does outside the engine. Have seen that once or twice also.

If a few drop of gas lets it fire, we can eliminate the whole spark question.

If it still doesn't fire at all, it is a spark problem.
                Last edited by tkent02; 12-03-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Some of these GSes run fine with no visible spark at all. Don't know why but I've seen a few like that. If it's sparking now and still won't run, it's likely not a spark issue. Unless the plugs are so fouled that it can't spark inside the engine but it does outside the engine. Have seen that once or twice also.

If a few drop of gas lets it fire, we can eliminate the whole spark question.
                  True. I've known many a GS that won't run or run likes pooh just because of a weak spark.

Comment

?? Is this to check if the carbs are blocked?

Comment

Originally posted by Griffyn View Post
                      Not getting spark on #4 and then spark coming back suggests a problem with the fire side of the equation. When you got no spark on #4, did you have spark on 1-3?

Fully charge the battery, check to make sure you're getting full voltage to the coils. Weak spark will make these bikes act like they get no spark at all, so you can see spark and still not have enough spark to make her run. And that can happen in the middle of a ride, depending on the health of your electrical system.
                      I'm not sure if there was spark on 1-3, because we only checked #4 at the time.
                      Got no spark, so I towed it home.

Comment

What are the possibilities here? Power lights up on the dash, starter works...but engine doesn't catch whatsoever.

Very odd how there was no spark, and now there is...

Comment

To determine if it's spark related or fuel related.

Comment

It sucks to go off on the wrong tangent.

Comment

Check the wiring-

Comment

Working...
                              X