Valve clearance feeler gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearance feeler gauge

Im about to check my valve clearances on my 78 gs750e but I don't have a feeler gauge.. I looked online and googled it and they discontinued the suzuki part.. does anyone know where I could get on that give the same options as the suzuki part?

Hardware stores for example. I got mine off ebay, same as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-02-to-1mm-...item4175fb6d13
    Does the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
      Hardware stores for example. I got mine off ebay, same as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-02-to-1mm-...item4175fb6d13
      Does the job.
      cool.. thanks

Comment

You can get a set of feeler gauges as close as your nearest auto parts store.

You may have to settle for an INCH set, not metric, but they will still work.

There are some purists here that INSIST that metric feelers are the only way to do the job, but I politely disagree. I have never used metric feelers on my bikes, yet they all seem to be in-spec.

Just be careful when you start reporting your findings because the metric specs are 0.03-0.08mm, the inch specs are 0.0012 to 0.0038". Yep, there is a "3" in both sets of numbers, but one is the MAX, the other is the MIN. Many metric feelers only go down to 0.04mm, so you can't measure the 0.03. If you use inch feelers, the smallest is usually 0.0015, so again, you can't measure the minimum. The good part of that is that by the time you get that small a clearance, you should be changing a shim, anyway. It's OK to go a little bit over the maximum clearance, but not OK to go under the minimum.

By the way, your new spreadsheet will work with either set of measurement.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

There are some purists here that INSIST that metric feelers are the only way to do the job, but I politely disagree. I have never used metric feelers on my bikes, yet they all seem to be in-spec.

Just be careful when you start reporting your findings because the metric specs are 0.03-0.08mm, the inch specs are 0.0012 to 0.0038". Yep, there is a "3" in both sets of numbers, but one is the MAX, the other is the MIN. Many metric feelers only go down to 0.04mm, so you can't measure the 0.03. If you use inch feelers, the smallest is usually 0.0015, so again, you can't measure the minimum. The good part of that is that by the time you get that small a clearance, you should be changing a shim, anyway. It's OK to go a little bit over the maximum clearance, but not OK to go under the minimum.

Word! Thank you.. Im a little confused but i will figure it out. I picked one up from harbor freight today it has metric and standard. Gonna wait for my gasket to come in and hit it up!!

Comment

Question: should i get a shim kit? Or should i wait till i know if and what size i need? Also is there a good websit to get them from?

Comment

Wait until you know what you have and what you'll need. Then come to this website, choose the GS Services section, and get them from the shim club.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by ATNasty View Post
                Question: should i get a shim kit? Or should i wait till i know if and what size i need? Also is there a good websit to get them from?
                I would suggest waiting to order shims until you take your measurements.

I recently did my check and I only needed one additional shim.

Comment

Thats why I ordered the one from ebay, I had two feeler gauges but they only went down to 0.05, and the next size up was 0.10. I felt that wasn't too accurate.

Also when checking you might see that you can get away with swapping one shim with another. For example if one valve is too loose and the other is too tight

Comment

Word! Thank you.. Im a little confused but i will figure it out. I picked one up from harbor freight today it has metric and standard.
                    I'll bet you just about anything that it is an INCH set that has metric approximations printed on it, as well.

Look at the measurements. If it has inch measurements of 0.0015, 0.002, 0.0025, 0.003, 0.004, etc, and has metric "measurements" of 0.038, 0.051, etc., it is an INCH set. However, if the metric numbers show 0.03, 0.04, 0.05, 0.06, etc., it is a metric set. Whichever set of numbers goes up with 'round' numbers is the standard to which that feeler gauge is made. Please use THAT set of numbers when using your gauges.

You haven't been reading your Mega-Welcome, have you?

Get a shim kit ONLY if you have a LOT of money to waste. A shim kit will include a few (maybe just a couple) shims of just about every size made. You will never need shims thicker than what you have now, so you might as well just throw about half of the shims in that kit away. Next, you might need four or five of a particular size, but will only have a couple, so you will need to get more shims, anyway. See what you have, order what you need. Where to get them? There is a virtually free service offered by a GSR member that is listed in the GS Services section. If you want to buy them, I think the cheapest source is Z1 Enterprises. This is all covered in your Mega-Welcome and the tutorials on BassCliff's site (which was also mentioned in your Mega-Welcome.

If you did not receive a Mega-Welcome, let us know, we all have it bookmarked. You should too.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Or you could joing the Shim Club.. they helped me out immensely when I was doing my valve check and supplying shims.

Comment

Get a shim kit ONLY if you have a LOT of money to waste. A shim kit will include a few (maybe just a couple) shims of just about every size made.
                        OEM Shim Kits come up on ebay from time to time. I got 2 OEM Suzuki kits and a bunch of extra shims for very little money. In fact I sold one of the kits to a GSR member, donated about 50 shims to the Shim Club, and have a 100% complete kit basically for free. Now what I have spent on everything else would buy a decent car.......

BTW the OEM kit has 6 shims each of 20 different sizes
                        Last edited by bobgroger; 03-21-2014, 11:28 PM. Reason: added shim count
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I got a combo set of feeler gauges from Oriellys...like 8 bucks.

Measure all the clearances and write them all down.DO NOT spin the cams without a shim in the buckets!!

Once youve done all 8, see what each shims size is.use a caliper because the number printed on it may not reflect its actual thickness due to wear.

Now you know what size shim is in each valves bucket, what that valves clearance is..so now see what shims you can move where to get as many valves right as you can. You may only really need two or three shims at the end of the shell game.

Next, PM Ray and let him know what you need and he will send them to you. Switch them out with whatever your final spreed sheet says and send the old ones back to him

my simplified easy to use spreed sheet I made up for myself. easy to track and follow the steps. See my thread here...

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                          X