No announcement yet.

maintenance started...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will order new lines. Any suggestions? OEM or else?

Bunch of new parts came in tonight. Lot of work for the week-end. I'm still wrestling to get those carbs out...this is tight!

Comment

ED is spot on about tearing down the entire brake systems. Crud and sludge cant be flushed out of the caliper wells or the very rear of the master cylinders.

They need disassembled and wiped clean. The calipers will need the grooves the piston seals go in cleaned as well. Youll find they are full of white chalky scale ..which swells the seals against the pistons and cause brakes to hang up. I nspect the pistons for pitting and rust areas. If they arent perfect, replace them. Get new piston seals too.

Brakes are NOT a place for questionable parts or service...your life depends on them.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

ok for the calipers, will do. What do you suggest as brake lines? OEM? Just finish dissassembling the carbs...Wow they were hard to get off the bike, so tight.

Comment

You want to go to stainless steel lines. Lots of choices. Here is one thread/

Comment

carbs

eveything is dirty and oily...Like if all the bike was sprayed with WD-40.

Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2014, 08:19 PM. Reason: wrong pic

Comment

Originally posted by coachmorin View Post
              eveything is dirty and oily...Like if all the bike was sprayed with WD-40.

You probably have a oil leak coming off the valve cover or something else in that area and is being blown back against the carbs. Looks like a bad leak if they are that soaked. So check all that. If the carbs were that hard to remove, the boots are more then likely hard as rocks. Get all new rubber boots front and back for the carbs, Order the clamps as well. Z1 has a good selection of SS brake lines and components you'll need. Lines, banjo connections and copper crush washers. Think I paid around $180 for my sets.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If you're wanting stainless steel brake lines this is the guy to go to

Raymond Chan, great guy to deal with. If you don't see what you need on his site just give him a call and he'll custom make it for no extra charge. Did my entire bike, front and back for $104 Canadian delivered to my door in BC 4 days after I ordered them!
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Wash all the oil off before dipping..no need for all that crap in the dip.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    You probably have a oil leak coming off the valve cover or something else in that area and is being blown back against the carbs. Looks like a bad leak if they are that soaked. So check all that. If the carbs were that hard to remove, the boots are more then likely hard as rocks. Get all new rubber boots front and back for the carbs, Order the clamps as well. Z1 has a good selection of SS brake lines and components you'll need. Lines, banjo connections and copper crush washers. Think I paid around $180 for my sets.
                    After going through a first clean with gunk, found the breather cover was broken and repaired with jeld weld. Ordered part yesterday from dealer, 28$ with gasket. Was leaking there and also from the tach sleeve. The sleeve is cracked and also there was no oil seal there. Was leaking pretty badly. All parts ordered and should be home by wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      Yes the rubber boots are hard. It was a pain to remove the carbs because they did not flex at all. 180$ for front and rear?

Comment

Tank

Still looking for a decent tank too !

Comment

O-Rings ordered from cycleorings, new intake boots arrived, carbs are soaking...

Any place where you can find new ss bolts kits to replace those silly philips screws for carbs? Almost broke 2...

thanks

Comment

McMasterCarr carries them.

Comment

Hey Coach, now that you are hooked on the big Suzukis, maybe a couple hour road trip is in order.
                              Visit Kijiji Classifieds to buy, sell, or trade almost anything! New and used items, cars, real estate, jobs, services, vacation rentals and more virtually anywhere.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                                Hey Coach, now that you are hooked on the big Suzukis, maybe a couple hour road trip is in order.
                                http://www.kijiji.ca/v-moto-sport-pr...ationFlag=true
                                Nice bike you got there!

Comment

Working...
                                X