Removing and cleaning chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing and cleaning chain

My 450 has a continuous chain and I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to remove it while not having to disassemble any more of the bike than absolutely necessary. Any thoughts?

If no master link then you cannot remove it with out taking things apart, and or breaking a link, and then using a master link to put it back together.

if it's just cleaning then your chain does not need to be removed at all

use a brush

or a rag and your cleaning solution

don't get your fingers caught

and do not clean the chain by having the bike running and in gear, VERY Dangerous and should not be done period...

Comment

I would say the easiest way to clean it is using an oil can. Spray some clean oil on a the chain or on a rag. Hold a rag around the chain and turn the wheel by hand. Turn it so that the chain is rotating away from the rear sprocket. And all the dirt will end up on your rag. The info that came with my new chain says clean with kerosine but I am not certain that this will be good for the o rings. If you have one of these automatic chain oilers your chain will stay clean and lubricated

Comment

Cleaning methods

I use a brush and diesel fuel, some use kerosene which works well too.
        I park the bike on it's center stand over a large piece of cardboard and then place a large pan under the chain.

Remove the chain guard.

After I've cleaned it with the brush and diesel, I use a rag to clean it up and wipe any over spray off the swing arm and rim.

Good luck.
        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Chain cleaning:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I use kerosene and a rag. What you absolutely do NOT want to use is WD-40 or gasoline.
            When cleaning, you want to rotate the wheel backward. This will prevent your cleaning apparatus or hand from being drawn into the chain.

Comment

Hmmm. That might be a bit more drastic than I'm willing to go
              Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Chain cleaning:

Comment

Thanks for all the tips .

Comment

Seriously, the brush in Gatekeeper's post is really good. No taking things apart, it gets much more dirt out than a rag, much easier, with zero risk to your hands.

Comment

the lazy and easy "side of the road" way if you must.

-dollar store hard small cleaning brush.
                    -can of Spray chain lube/cleaner
                    -cover bike on center stand, while OFF AND KILL SWITCH in N, spray some lube to moisten dirt on the chain and brush it. Then blast the crap out of the chain w the lube can straw. the gunk will get blasted off and drip. (Super messy). It will USUALLY blast all gunk out as some lubes are also cleaners. I would try this first.

-Ive seen (and personally used) brakekleen used to blast out serious gunk QUICKLY followed by a rinse and chain lube. This can swell and ruin O rings on some chains but I have NEVER has any issues. I have only used this as a last resort on trips. I really don't recommend it but it does work.

Comment

Like GS450 says, I use a chain cleaner from my stealership, I keep old tooth brushes for cleaning but also have the brush that gatekeeper uses.
                      I spray the chain first, give it a second to work. Then take the brush to it. Then wipe with a rag, then probably repeat. Make sure, like it was said here to rotate the wheel backwards so as not to get anything caught in the sprocket.
                      I always put lots of cardboard down too.
                      No signature :(

Comment

Dupont now sells a spray chain cleaner that is really good, and quite reasonably priced. You can get it at Lowes, right next to their teflon chain lube (hint, hint).

Comment

Chains are so good these days they last damned near forever even with no maintenance at all. 20,000 - 25,000 miles is easy with no special rituals. Hell I haven't even adjusted the chain yet on my 12,000 mile 2009 bike.

The days of removing chains and doing all kinds of religious experiences with them to get 6,000 miles out of a chain are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            Dupont now sells a spray chain cleaner that is really good, and quite reasonably priced. You can get it at Lowes, right next to their teflon chain lube (hint, hint).
                            Yep I use it and love it- chain seems to stay cleaner as well.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                              KK, You wouldn't last long on the FZ1 site dissing WD-40.

75% of the members use it for everything chain related and no one reports any bad effects. Hell some of them gargle with it. Personally I use it for cleaning but I usually spray it on the rag not on the chain itself. I occasionally use it as lube as well sprayed directly on the chain.

I don't prefer it as lube because Chain Wax last longer but no one (including me) is reporting less than 20K miles of service out of FZ1 chains, whether they use conventional lube and cleaners or WD-40.

This calls for multiple WD-40 threads as its reputation has now been sullied.
                              WD-40= water displacement, 40th formula- is what it's made for- and about all it's good for. Nothing more than mineral oil with a solvent in an aerosol- You would do better using baby oil than this on a chain.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X