Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I adjust my chain properly?

Hello all.

I've got a 1984 GS1150E, and I need to know the proper procedure to adjust the tension on the chain. I've tried to do it before, but the axle ended up uneven, so I must have been doing something wrong. If this info is elsewhere on the forums, I apologize in advance, and would love it if you could post a link. Thanks so much!

-x01660

I'm not sure the exact procedure on your bike, but your Suzuki shop manual SHOULD have some pretty detailed instructions for ya.

Comment

Make sure you follow instructions for checking chain and sprocket wear too. There are many methods used to align a chain. My datum marks happen to be pretty accurate, but I always do a final check by watching the chain and rear sprocket while I rotate the back wheel by hand several times. If the chain tracks straight on the sprocket teeth with a bit of space between link walls and sprocket teeth on each side then the wheel is straight. If the chain pulls to one side or the other on the sprocket then it needs further adjusting. It's been working well for me, 40k miles on mine without much wear at all.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

There are a few different ways... I'd say start with your factory service manual as SocialAnomaly says and for the fine details, well, YouTube is your friend! Here's one to get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vZTrc3IAQ
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

The trick I learned was that when you tighten the axle nut for the final time, after you've aligned the notch on the adjusters evenly with the swing-arm marks, or the more tedious thread-counting method shown in the video, is to make sure you don't tighten the axle nut by 'pulling' the wrench towards the rear of the bike, which will also pull the axle back out of alignment. Put the wrench on the nut so that your final tightening of the axle nut results in 'pushing' the wrench towards the front of the bike. That way the axle won't be shifted because the adjusters block the movement of the axle itself. The bike will have to have a way to keep from moving forward at the same time, a helper pushing backwards on the bike from the handlebars, or finding a way to lock the centerstand in place, etc, should work, hopefully. Use of an air gun or air ratchet to tighten the nut would eliminate worrying about the direction of securing the axle nut.
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

We use a rag locked up between chain and rear sprocket to hold the adjusters tight against the arm. Watch the Moto GP boys they do same thing

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I think I have what I need to get it done. Thanks.

-x01660

Comment

Working...
              X