Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to ck & set ignition timing on GS1100GK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to ck & set ignition timing on GS1100GK?

Since I have chronic pinging on my '82GK, I always use "premium" gas. The bike will still ping if I get caught in stop & go traffic during warm weather (NOT a problem lately, Brrrr).
    So, I need to check the timing setting & make sure it is correct. Even though this is fundamental stuff, I haven't seen anything on how to do this. I know that with crank triggered electronic ignitions, it normally does not shift from original setting, but I need to check anyway,
    What's the normal method/procedure for doing this?

mine does the same thing hopefully we get an answer to help us both

Comment

If you have a timing light it's pretty easy. If not download a manual from Cliffs site and follow along, it's pretty easy. It's all under your right side ignition cover.

Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I believe the timing is set up from the factory and is none adjustable. I have thought about playing with it on my 1000G also but never have, as it also pings. I have noticed that it pings less with lower octane gas though. So I don't run 92-93 anymore in it
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Wow, I never knew that about stock ignition setups, disregard my other post. I have my 80' 1000G but I pulled the stock setup for a Dyna so never had to play around with it. Why would they make an engine that you can't adjust the timing on??
          Rob
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Noise can also be from needing a carb syncing again.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It's from a lean condition.
              You have to richen the jet needle by replacing the spacer over the needle with a stack of less height of washers.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Why would they make an engine that you can't adjust the timing on??
                If I remember correctly (it has been a while), you can adjust it.

However, once it is set, there is no need to change it, because there is nothing that wears and requires adjustment.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If I remember correctly (it has been a while), you can adjust it.

However, once it is set, there is no need to change it, because there is nothing that wears and requires adjustment.

See, that makes more sense. So it's not a matter of cannot adjust, more of a 'you don't need to once it's set'. Thanks for clearing that up Steve, I was perplexed. So fella's, get yourself a timing gun or you can do it manually with a simple 12volt tester with a bulb in it but likely your 'ping' is from your carbs needing a synch from your valves that need adjustment.
                  Rob

Comment

My carbs are well synch'd & valves are set. My bike still detonated whenever I get stuck in stop & go traffic in warm weather. So, it could be timing or I need to move the needles up a little. Or, the chambers are just too carbonated up (I hope not).

Comment

I think detonation is a common condition with the GK; normal but not desirable. Richening up the mixture may help, but might also destroy mileage. Dialing back the timing should help, but not sure how much. I'd try slotting the mounting screw holes for the signal generators and rotating the plate clockwise a few degrees. Trial the bike and see how it runs.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 03-14-2014, 11:32 AM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had big problems with my 850 pinging New intake boots fixed that

Comment

Oh yea, I've put on new carb boots too.

Comment

Haven't set timing since last Summer, but off the top of my head...

The only ignitions that are adjustable are Points Ignition(76-79 GS) and aftermarket Dyna Ignitions. Normally you slide the plate Clockwise for Advance, Counter-clickwise for Retard. (another way to tell, slide the plate One direction slightly...if the Idle speeds up, that's Advance. If it bogs down or starts missing- that's Retard.)
                            Also, with the 76-82 GS bikes, there is a Mechanical Advance piece, behind the timing plate...sometimes the springs get stuck, and the weights can't fully expand outwards as the motor spins faster...and as a result your timing won't advance correctly.

With Aftermarket Electronic Ignitions(such as Dyna), you can also set the Two pickups individually to dial in the timing perfect.
                            There are two magnet pickups on the plate, Left pickup controls Firing to cylinder 1/4, the Right pickup goes to cylinder 2/3.

Most GS bikes reach full Advance around 1500RPM. Some of the 550's and smaller may be around 1800RPM.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

This past spring I recleaned the pilot jet passages on the #2 carb. That was the one that didn't respond to idle mixture settings. Guess what? The longing is 90% gone. I've only heard a slight amount of pinging, now, when the engine is hot & pulling under 2500-3000rpm.Overall, the bike is running much better this year than last.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X