tach kaput...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tach kaput...

I have an 81 gs1100e. the tach did not work when I got the bike. PO said it was just the cable and gave me a new cable with the bike. after looking into it, the problem is not the cable, it was the drive gear on the exhaust cam was wiped out.... I had the time tonight to put the new cam in, got the tach cable on the valve cover end, started the bike and it spins. hook it up to tach and nothing... tried the other cable I had, still nothing.

sounds like my tach itself is dead.

is the instrument cluster able to be opened up? I have heard of people having to saw them in half to open then up?

Are you sure you got the square end seated right inside the tach drive? If so, probably way less of a cluster ( pardon the pun ) fluck to just find an used one and swap them out.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by markb View Post
      I have an 81 gs1100e. the tach did not work when I got the bike. PO said it was just the cable and gave me a new cable with the bike. after looking into it, the problem is not the cable, it was the drive gear on the exhaust cam was wiped out.... I had the time tonight to put the new cam in, got the tach cable on the valve cover end, started the bike and it spins. hook it up to tach and nothing... tried the other cable I had, still nothing.

sounds like my tach itself is dead.

is the instrument cluster able to be opened up? I have heard of people having to saw them in half to open then up?
      This probably the easest instrument cluster to work on, everything unscrews including the tach and speedo. Pop the tach out and see if the needle is stuck and or the magnetic gear is turning at all. Sometimes you can save them by using a bit of oil to soak into the bushings. I know I've done this with several I have. I would oil the speedo bushings as well. There are 10 screws that hold the outside shell on and 4 small screws (2 per instrument) for the tach and speedo. Oh yeah make sure the drive gears for the tach are meshing correctly with each other.
      Last edited by mrbill5491; 04-12-2014, 06:12 PM.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I tool the cable and put it into the tach, and the other end into a drill, and after a few seconds of spinning it started working. the needle must have just been stuck for not moving for so long. thanks for the ideas.

Comment

Working...
        X