Stator Case Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator Case Question

I bought a new ride, (as posted in introductions) started working on it today looking for problems. I discovered that the left case cover was covered in silicone concealing a hairline crack from what I guess was a low-side incident. That can be repaired, or replaced BUT upon removal this bracket (see pic below) was loose in the case. Obviously it should be secured to something, but no hardware was found (hope it's not in the crankcase).

What is it? And how does it mount? Thanks.

Looks like a home made replacement for the one that holds the stator wires out of the spinning parts.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Looks like a home made replacement for the one that holds the stator wires out of the spinning parts.
      That does make sense. Because neither my dad or I could figure out how or why it was in there. Will add to the laundry list of parts to order on Monday.

Thanks!

Comment

Make sure you put Loctite on the screws when you put it back in place or you'll lose them again. How is the condition of the rotor?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Make sure you put Loctite on the screws when you put it back in place or you'll lose them again. How is the condition of the rotor?
          One of the magnets have a 1/8" chip on one corner. In the pic you can almost see it just about the wire. Otherwise the rest seem fine.

Comment

... upon removal this bracket (see pic below) was loose in the case. Obviously it should be secured to something, but no hardware was found (hope it's not in the crankcase).

What is it? And how does it mount? Thanks.
            The tab that is near your thumb goes between the two nubs in the bottom right of the cover. The tab that is going back near your middle finger has a hole in it. There is a machine screw that goes through it and into the hole that is just above those two nubs. The stator wires run along the outer edge of the cover, under this bracket, then out through a half-moon gasket that goes into the recess in the bottom of your picture.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The tab that is near your thumb goes between the two nubs in the bottom right of the cover. The tab that is going back near your middle finger has a hole in it. There is a machine screw that goes through it and into the hole that is just above those two nubs. The stator wires run along the outer edge of the cover, under this bracket, then out through a half-moon gasket that goes into the recess in the bottom of your picture.

Thanks Steve for the description and pic!

Comment

Originally posted by Xyrus View Post
                Thanks Steve for the description and pic!
                That's why we're here.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  That's why we're here.

Oh ..so THAT'S why....

( comedy attempted)

Comment

Steve, why did you quote me quoting someone else's quote?
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There's actually two brackets in the case

The one Steve is referring to is Z shaped and a long finger, which holds the stator wires away from the rotor

The other one spans between the lower hole and the post to the left of it. It fits in the notch in the post. It's essentially a flat bar
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Steve, why did you quote me quoting someone else's quote?

What he said and said
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Ah... 2 brackets.
                          That explains the 2 threaded holes, was wondering about that.
                          Guess it's back to the dealer to add to the "parts on order list" or, I could just make one.
                          Incase you're wondering, that's my hand in the pic which is attached to the brains of the operation (such as they are).

Thanks everyone for your insights. Having fun getting my hands dirty in an old school bike. This one's a gem, should be a real nice daily driver for Xyrus.

Comment

Update!

Found the missing screw which was supposed to be holding the bracket in the belly pan. It was quite a relief to find.

Comment

Working...
                            X