Cleaning out old oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning out old oil

I just brought home a 1981 GS650GL that hasn't run since circa 1993. How do I go about thoroughly draining the old oil? Is this something I should be concerned about or is it simply a matter of doing a regular oil change?

Thanks.
    K

Put her level and pull the plug. If the bike starts you could always warm it up a bit first. Does it actually run after sitting for 21 years???
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I would drain it on the center stand, pull both drain plugs, tip the bike to one side then the other, more will come out. Put the front wheel then the rear wheel down, more will come out. Let it sit overnight to drain more. If the oil coming out was really nasty, had water in it or anything else besides regular looking oil, I'd change it once, run it a bit and change it again.

Then run it with new oil.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I doubt it will run. I just brought it home yesterday so I'm not even going to try and start it until I get the tank and carbs thoroughly clean. Just thinking ahead is all.

Thanks!

Comment

I would also pull the oil pan on a bike that has been sitting that long.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            I would also pull the oil pan on a bike that has been sitting that long.
            Why?

If the oil comes out clean, and the rest of the engine is clean inside, what would you accomplish beside a lot of work?

Comment

After sitting for 21 years i don't think an oil change would remove all the sediment and contaminants that would have settled in the bottom of the pan.
              For my own peace of mind, the bit of extra work and probable cost of a new gasket it is something i would do.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Sediment in the bottom of the pan isnt going anywhere any more than it will in a bike that has ran 21 years and never had the pan off. Run some clean oil and filter thru it for maybe 100 miles and then change them again and call iot good.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

sorry to jump in on your thread but was just thinking if you Can put in a engine flush like cars or will that stuff the clutch plates??

Comment

Originally posted by cougar View Post
                    sorry to jump in on your thread but was just thinking if you Can put in a engine flush like cars or will that stuff the clutch plates??
                    More than likely.

But you can take out the clutch plates and run a flushing oil with the bike stationary.
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

These bikes are bullet proof, just drain oil, swap filters, put some cheap dino in it and go.
                      My 650 still has fresh oil from over 3 years ago, only has a few hundred miles on that oil, just took it out of hibernation last night and it ran absolutely Flawless.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-24-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cougar View Post
                        Wow, you could do most anything. Or you can change the oil and ride it.

Comment

Working...
                        X