Proper oil checking procedure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper oil checking procedure?

Just so this noob has all the right steps in order, how does one go about checking ones oil?

Here's how I Think one should check the oil.

Start the bike.

Let it run on high idle for a little while, or better yet, go for a quick rip to the nearest gas station.

Shut the bike off (duh).

Set it on the center stand.

Unscrew the dipstick and remove, careful not to burn your fingers.

Wipe down the dipstick, drop it back into the crank case, screw it back down.

Take the dipstick back out and check the measurement on the "full" line. If it's low, top it up accordingly.

Is this correct? Am I missing steps? Overthinking too much?

Any info is appreciated.

What bike and year? i am not familiar with a GS that has a dipstick.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Any bike with a dipstick that I'm familiar with, you don't screw it back down, just drop it in the hole and read it. Probably good to wait a minute after shutting the engine off, too.

But I've never seen a GS with a dipstick either.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        What bike and year? i am not familiar with a GS that has a dipstick.

Its an 81 GS400L. And yes, it has a dipstick. Its just a 6 inch steel rod that is attached to the cap on the crank case, and it has the usual little "fill/full" line on the bottom.

Comment

Hondas have dipsticks and thats the proceedure..stick it in and dont screw it it to read level..and on the center stand or as far upright as possible. I sat on my Shadow and reach down to unscrew the cap.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

then read it without screwing it in would be my guess.

Comment

Same with the Suzukis that do have a dipstick, like the DRs. Wait a minute, don't screw it in.

Comment

How long would one let the engine idle to give a good indication of oil level?

Just for argument's sake, say I wanted to make sure my oil level was proper before I left my house so I don't need to make a return trip just to top up if I discover my oil is low when I stop to gas up.

Is a few minutes adequate, or should the bike run for a good long time to really get the oil to flow smooth?

Comment

It doesn't really matter. It might change a tiny bit with changes in temperature, but not much.

Look at it cold, look at it after a minute, look at it after it's fully hot to see how it reads.

Just get use to where it should be in all the different conditions.

Comment

Okay, that is actually a good suggestion.

Comment

The way to check it is BEFORE you start the engine, or AFTER the engine has been shut off for a few minutes.

Running the engine pumps the oil all through it. Shutting the engine off lets the oil drip back down into the crankcase, where after a while you can check its level. Checking the level after it's dripped overnight is good, after the engine has been shut down a few minutes at a gas station is close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by JayWB View Post
                        The way to check it is BEFORE you start the engine, or AFTER the engine has been shut off for a few minutes.

Running the engine pumps the oil all through it. Shutting the engine off lets the oil drip back down into the crankcase, where after a while you can check its level. Checking the level after it's dripped overnight is good, after the engine has been shut down a few minutes at a gas station is close enough.
                        And you will see more oil in the case than you should that way. If you check it correctly it will be low. What the manuals say will get the correct reading for whatever make and model it is. For instance, my GS shows above the window when its been parked overnight. Do the correct procedure as in the sSuzuki manual, and it's just at the full mark. Honda XR400 specifies to let it idle for something like four minutes, shut it off and check after I think one minute. Not sure, I don't own one, it's my buddy's bike. Do it cold and it's way wrong. Check it cold on a DR 350 and it will read zero, no matter how overfilled it is. My BMW says to let it idle until the fan goes on, and then shuts off. Kill the engine, wait one minute, check the dipstick. If you check it cold it's way way off.

Moral of the story is know what's in the owner's manual.
                        Last edited by tkent02; 04-23-2014, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JayWB View Post

Like Jay said - you won't get an accurate reading with oil still coming back down to the crankcase from the rest of the engine. Put it half way between fill and full when cold, run it, and then check it. But check it 5 min or so after shutting it off for an accurate reading. Also, best to check when level on both wheels. Mine reads lower on center stand than when on both wheels. Overfilling will just cause you to sharpen your plug cleaning skills...

Comment

Dipstick? Brings back memories of my CB350.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              And you will see more oil in the case than you should that way. If you check it correctly it will be low. What the manuals say will get the correct reading for whatever make and model it is. For instance, my GS shows above the window when its been parked overnight. Do the correct procedure as in the sSuzuki manual, and it's just at the full mark. Honda XR400 specifies to let it idle for something like four minutes, shut it off and check after I think one minute. Not sure, I don't own one, it's my buddy's bike. Do it cold and it's way wrong. Check it cold on a DR 350 and it will read zero, no matter how overfilled it is. My BMW says to let it idle until the fan goes on, and then shuts off. Kill the engine, wait one minute, check the dipstick. If you check it cold it's way way off.

Moral of the story is know what's in the owner's manual.
                              Forget what I said - just make sure you're getting a good read for your bike...

And that is just crazy talk havin' a dipstick on a GS

Comment

Working...
                              X