Garage Organization...let's see some pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Organization...let's see some pictures

Ok everyone. It's time to admit we have a problem. 3 motorcycles, one car, four bicycles, three sets of golf gear, fishing rods, two work benches, climbing gear out the wazoo, and soon to be added...a 17 foot Wenonah Spirit II canoe and associated gear. Of course, there is all of the hiking gear, yard stuff, and assorted vehicle maintenance equipment. Thank goodness I just got rid of 6 large tubs of climbing holds.

Now it is reorganization time. How am I going to fit the canoe in with all of that other stuff? I know, I know. Sort, organize, and purge is at the top of the list. But what do we next? I'm left a little jealous of the pictures of people's garages online. You know the ones with a 10 foot ceiling and two feet of free space on either side of the double door?

What I am looking for are real world, pack-rat solutions. The ingenious ones that pack in as much stuff as you can, but leaves you a working garage.

So, spurred on by Trevor's redo of his man-cave, I'm asking for pictures of your solutions, to inspire my planning.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Well, the first thing that I would do would be to get rid of the car, four bicycles, three sets of golf gear, fishing rods, a 17 foot Wenonah Spirit II canoe and associated gear, all of the hiking gear, and yard stuff.

The garage should be for motorcycles and work benches ONLY.

Last edited by Steve; 05-02-2014, 01:47 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll never have a Trevoresquely organized garage. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

What I do have is kitchen cabinets from the local neighborhood kitchen remodeler. He has to pay to get rid of them, so I help him out a little.

Next was lights. Got about fifty of these four footers for about $50 from C list from a chicken farmer who put new more efficient lighting in all of his coops. These are efficient enough for me.

Shelves, got 80' of these 16" shelves from a guy on another motorcycle forum, with heavy duty steel mounting rails, the brackets are made in USA, back when that meant the good stuff. Still have about 20' feet left to go up when I figure out where.

Next finished up the stairs to the attic, a ceiling light up there, and some floor space.

All of this junk was on the floor below a week ago.

Still need to sell a bunch of motorcycles and parts.

Anyone see anything they want?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What Steve said. Why do you need all that other stuff? You got your motorcycles.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          What Steve said. Why do you need all that other stuff? You got your motorcycles.
          ...and a couple of girls at home that are into some of the other things.

Tom, that looks to be pretty efficient use of space. What's your floor area and ceiling height?
          '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Well, the first thing that I would do would be to get rid of the car, four bicycles, three sets of golf gear, fishing rods, a 17 foot Wenonah Spirit II canoe and associated gear, all of the hiking gear, and yard stuff.

The garage should be for motorcycles and work benches ONLY.

Steve,

what is the blue contraption at 2 O'clock in your photograph? Hard to tell, but it looks like a chain hoist.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

The bike shop is 15' x 30', 9' high ceiling. The car garage is similar area, but more rectangular. It's not as far along yet.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                Steve,

what is the blue contraption at 2 O'clock in your photograph? Hard to tell, but it looks like a chain hoist.

the blue thing on the top right? that's a retractable extension cord

Comment

Originally posted by orourkei View Post
                  Those are nice to have, I use mine all the time. I also have a 50' retractable hose reel hanging from the ceiling. Goes all the way to the end of my driveway. Very convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by orourkei View Post
                    I don't own the house, so those look like a great idea to keep the wiring mess to a minimum.

Score 1 point for a useful idea.
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

You guys in the inner city have all the fun.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Id love to play, but my garage is a sheeithole. Maybe ill learn something. I've told my wife that even if I had the money to restore my cycle, that I wouldn't even consider it due to fear of garage injury.....(to the cycle)
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Motorcycles and beer

Garages are for motorcycles and beer. If you don't own a '69 Camaro, that's all that should be in there.

And tools. Lots of tools.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Garages are for motorcycles and beer. If you don't own a '69 Camaro, that's all that should be in there.

And tools. Lots of tools.
                            In a perfect world my friend. Id love to have my long suffering 66 ElCamino semi basket case at home to work on, but that ain't happening-ever..........current plans call for selling it if/when my GS has catastrophic failure.
                            And like Trevors garage, mine would have wine (red) also.
                            Last edited by dorkburger; 05-02-2014, 04:10 PM. Reason: add
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

All the motorcycles I can stuff in it. Some retired kitchen cabinets, a motorcycle lift, a couple of bench mounted devices (drill press, bench grinder, vice etc) a music system, and some storage for "other things" sometimes spelled like "wife's stuff"

Comment

Working...
                              X