Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble replacing speedometer gear (82 GS650G)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble replacing speedometer gear (82 GS650G)

Hi everyone,

Last year my speedometer stopped working. I replaced the cable, but that didn't fix the problem. I could manually turn the cable end and get the odometer to rotate. By process of elimination, I figured it was the speedometer gear (I think that's what it's called--the part that mounts at the wheel axle, where one end of the cable attaches).

I bought a used gear off ebay last year, but only got around to attempting the replacement today, after getting tips from a couple mechanics. I moved my bike from the street into my building's garage to do the work. Everything seemed to be going ok--I removed the brake calipers, jacked up the bike in the front a little bit, removed the old gear. But getting the wheel back on the bike took WAY longer than I expected. I got it installed a few times, but something just didn't seem to line up right. The brake disc on the gear side was rubbing against the caliper holder, and the gear seemed to be slightly crooked somehow.

After the third time of installing, and my back starting to really hurt, I saw that it fit better than the previous attempts. I just wanted to stop for the day, but I had to move my bike back out onto the street. When I did that, I noticed the gear was rotating with the wheel, instead of staying still while the wheel rotated. Argh... Now I'll need a new speedo cable.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what went wrong? It really seemed like it would be much easier, especially with how fast it was to dismantle everything. But getting the wheel back in place was incredibly frustrating. I want to believe I'm better at turning a wrench than this, but I'll probably take it to a shop to get it done right. But if there's a simple solution to this, I might give it another try.

Thanks,
    Craig

The gear has two tabs inside that match up with the corresponding slots in the wheel. It's possible they didn't mate up when you put the wheel back together. I usually try to hold the gear in place with one hand while I tighten up the nut on the opposite side.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It was strange--I saw the two tabs in the gear, and the two slots on the wheel. With the wheel off, the gear fit on perfectly, and freely rotated. But, once I was able to get the wheel back on the fork and put the bolt through the axle, it seemed out of alignment. It was a really tight fit, getting the wheel back on.

Comment

All that you described just now is typical of not having the tabs properly resting in the slots.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Rats... Maybe it was not a good idea to try it by myself--I'll have somebody help me out next time, and maybe I can get it all lined up properly. I'll do this tomorrow night if I can, and I'll post a follow-up.

Thanks for your replies and help--I really appreciate it!

Comment

I use a scissor jack under the front of the engine so I can adjust the height of the forks to match the hole in the wheel, letting the axle slide through easily.

After rolling the wheel into place and lowering the bike to the correct height, hold the speedo gear into place with the tabs properly inserted, then hold the spacer on the right side and roll the wheel between the forks. Now that everything is held together sideways, slide the axle in (all mine go from right to left), the fork tubes will keep the speedo gear from coming out of place.

Please note that all references to "left", "right", etc., are made as if you are sitting on the bike, ready to ride. That means that the axle slides in from the brake hand side to the clutch hand side, which left to right as you are working on the front of the bike, but you are actually passing it from the right side to the left side of the bike.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I can picture that--I'll try that technique tomorrow. Also, the axle was installed the opposite way--from the clutch side to the brake side--maybe that has something to do with my problems too? I'll reverse that tomorrow, and hopefully will have something good to report.

I forgot that I bought a new speedo cable last year when I thought it was the problem. So, the cable I ruined today can be replaced instantly--whew...

Comment

Axle could probably go from either direction, but it will depend on the bike.

The most-important part is to assemble the parts, then roll them between the fork legs to be held.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

so embarrassed...

So I found out this afternoon after removing the wheel again and holding the old gear next to the new one---I bought the wrong replacement gear... It looks almost exactly the same, except it fits over part of the hub instead of inside it. That added a little extra width to the axle, and that's why I had such a hell of a time getting the wheel back on yesterday.

I looked closer at available used gears on ebay, and it looks like I picked up a GL version last year. I have the correct part on order now. Live and learn...

Comment

Working...
                  X