Why you MUST do a proper job cleaning your brake system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you MUST do a proper job cleaning your brake system

A lesson on why you need to take brake parts apart and clean them.My rear brake was coming on without me pushing the pedal.Wasn't obvious what was happening at first but it was gradually it got worse,to the point I couldn't push the bike myself.Could go back a bit later and all would be good.Took off the MC and once I removed the reservoir port I seen the problem.A blob of stuff was sitting over the return port.It was fluid enough to clog it intermittently The circlip on that MC was to rusted to come out so I pulled one out of the stash,took it apart and put it in the ultrasonic for a cycle.It cleaned up so nice I didn't even paint it.I rode the bike this morning,it was WAY better.

Good to know thanks.......

Comment

But I didnt read anything about cleaning the lines or the caliper inside the piston well. Wouldnt it stand to reason that if the master cylinders fluid is coagulating and making problems, then one would want to do a "proper" cleaning of an entire sytsems components and not just one at a time as they progressively mess up??? Just sayin.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There is no way to clean the lines. They should be replaced. The calipers should be torn down too. If there is sludge in one part, it's everywhere.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

New SS lines and cleaned out the caliper a couple of years ago.Never did the rear MCYou just have to do it ALL!

Comment

I bought later model calipers, matching mc's & slotted rotors for mine 2 years ago. Bead-blasted everything, painted, bought rebuild kits. Absolutely everything except new lines and fluid is sitting ready for reassembly in a box in the garage. I've been busy.

Comment

I did a complete re-build on my "T's" single front disk...new braided line, pads, and internals. I have a drum for rear wheel and adjusted the link.

There was gunk inside the caliper and MC...I soaked all primary parts in Safety-Kleen and put everything back together. Front brakes work great now!

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Ed..you CAN clean the inside of the lines to a great extent. Heres how. Take the straw from your carb spray and stick it in the hole of the banjo bolt and then pinch the fitting between your fingers and spray. Youll be amazed at what comes out the other end.

Then you press the air nozzle from the compressor up to the banjo bolt as you plug the other side with a finger and shoot air thru the line.

NO this IS NOT as "right" as replacing them but they can in fact be rinsed and cleaned to a great extent inside. Point is, as I stated in my iother post, makes no sense to clean one component you find crud or blockage in and not check and clean everything else. Just playing Russian Roulette with the brakes at that point.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Brakes, Brakes, Brakes

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Ed..you CAN clean the inside of the lines to a great extent. Heres how. Take the straw from your carb spray and stick it in the hole of the banjo bolt and then pinch the fitting between your fingers and spray. Youll be amazed at what comes out the other end.

Then you press the air nozzle from the compressor up to the banjo bolt as you plug the other side with a finger and shoot air thru the line.

NO this IS NOT as "right" as replacing them but they can in fact be rinsed and cleaned to a great extent inside. Point is, as I stated in my iother post, makes no sense to clean one component you find crud or blockage in and not check and clean everything else. Just playing Russian Roulette with the brakes at that point.
                  This is good for annual check-ups for the MC/Caliper/Banjo. My brakes hadn't been done in ages and it showed...remember the pics on my thread?

I spent lots of quality time cleaning/wire-brushing/painting components and now I'm reaping the benefits.

You're right....no taking chances on brakes--30W Fork Oil and Tarozzi Fork Brace have also done wonders...I'm Happy!

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Working...
                  X