1983 GS650L Will NOT Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS650L Will NOT Start

i got an 83' gs650l and it will not start!! i have spark on all plugs, installed brand new petcock, fuel is definitely getting to the carbs, new air filter, new intake boots, there is compression and carbs are cleaned out but still wont start. The carbs used to be podded but i put the stock airbox back on with new filter.

the only way i can almost get it to start is if i am constantly spraying starting fluid in the carb(i know this is not good). even then i only get a little 3 second rev and it dies.

I have not synced the carbs yet and i also haven't adjusted the floats. Could this be the problem?

could it also be the cdi box and/or regulator/rectifier? if so how do i test them to see if they work or not?

please help guys, im on the verge of just parting it out on ebay.

Was it rejected when it had pods put on?

Comment

no it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie.jimenez View Post
        i got an 83' gs650l and it will not start!! i have spark on all plugs, installed brand new petcock, fuel is definitely getting to the carbs, new air filter, new intake boots, there is compression and carbs are cleaned out but still wont start.
        I see everything EXCEPT the two most important items:
        1. Fuel is geting to the carbs, but is is getting THROUGH them? Have you cleaned/rebuilt the carbs?
        ....You said they were "cleaned out", but how did you "clean them out"?
        2. Have you adjusted the valves?

The carbs used to be podded but i put the stock airbox back on with new filter.
        Did you go back to stock jets? For that matter, were the carbs jetted properly for the pods?

If the carbs are still jetted for the pods, it will not prevent starting now, but will affect it when it does get running.

the only way i can almost get it to start is if i am constantly spraying starting fluid in the carb(i know this is not good).
        You "know this is not good", yet you keep doing it?

THROW THE STARTING FLUID AWAY!!!.

could it also be the cdi box and/or regulator/rectifier?
        First of all, you do NOT have a "cdi box". What you have is called an "ignitor" or "ignition module".
        This is an INDUCTIVE discharge ignition, not a CAPACITIVE discharge system.
        Now, to answer your question, you already said you had sparks, that means that your ignitor is working.

Your regulator/rectifier has nothing to do with whether the engine will start.

please help guys, im on the verge of just parting it out on ebay.
        Where are you? If you are close enough, I might save you the trouble of parting it out and just pick it up while it's still complete.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's an L. Part it out. I'll take the top end if the price is right.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

at steve, thanks for the reply. i cleaned and only replaced the float bowl gaskets on the carb. i took it apart and very carefully cleaned it with carb cleaner. i have not yet adjusted the valves. it was not jetted properly when pods were put on. it still has the stock jets. and yes i know about the starting fluid i did it out of frustration and obviously stupidity lol. i live near seattle washington.

Comment

also, is bad if the starter solenoid "clicks" while trying to start it?

Comment

Just means the starter isn't getting enough juice to turn. Battery or wiring most likely.

Comment

Battery is less than a year old.

Comment

Is it being charged properly? Are the ground and power wires free of corrosion? Even the other end of the ground wire from the battery that bolts to the back of the engine? That bolt usually corrodes down inside the engine.

Clicking means the solenoid is kicking but there's not enough power getting to the starter to turn it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Again with the L hate!

Comment

Does the solenoid click as the starter is cranking the engine?

Or solenoid click only - no crank?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Sorry, must take it all !
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like the typical combo plate of issues- weak battery, probably clogged choke passages,etc. but plugs fire, so be happy cause this means your ignitor is working! (make sure left ignition coil connects to 1 and 4 plugs). You can use a non running car to boost your battery, do some cranking (with "choke" on) and then pull spark plugs and look for signs of fuel on them. Without properly cleaned choke circuits, this critter won't show interest.
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Have you cleaned/rebuilt the carbs?
                              Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              ....You said they were "cleaned out", but how did you "clean them out"?
                              i cleaned and only replaced the float bowl gaskets on the carb. i took it apart and very carefully cleaned it with carb cleaner.

In other words, you did not clean them. A proper cleaning of the carbs would have them looking like this at some point.

The solenoid SHOULD click, but right after that click, you should hear the starter spinning and the engine turning over.
                              Battery is less than a year old.
                              You may have purchased it less than a year ago, but how long did it sit on the shelf before you bought it?

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X