Valves & Shims - Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valves & Shims - Input

This is my first time checking and adjusting valves on a gs and I could use some input.

Attached are my valve clearances and shim sizes.

I would like to get all my valves as close to the same as possible (0.07 - 0.08) to help tuning and performance.

I am looking for suggestions as to what sizes I need or which ones to swap around.

Any input is appreciated. This is for a 77 GS 750 B

Thank You

Steve will be along shortly, send him a nice friendly email and in exchange he will gladly send you his world famous valve clearance spreadsheet that does all the work for you.

Comment

[QUOTE=halz426;2060218]This is my first time checking and adjusting valves on a gs and I could use some input.

Attached are my valve clearances and shim sizes.

I would like to get all my valves as close to the same as possible (0.07 - 0.08) to help tuning and performance.

I am looking for suggestions as to what sizes I need or which ones to swap around.

Any input is appreciated. This is for a 77 GS 750 B

Thank You[/QUOTE

Are you mixing some metric and inch measurements? If not, a few readings have an extra 0. If these are all actually something over .04mm, you are in pretty good shape. If you want to get them to .07mm, just subtract the difference in what you have from what you want, then subtract that number from from the shim thickness you currently have. Also, lot's of guys run up around .1mm clearance. Ray
      Last edited by Ghostgs1; 05-27-2014, 05:26 PM. Reason: More help.
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
        Steve will be along shortly, send him a nice friendly email and in exchange he will gladly send you his world famous valve clearance spreadsheet that does all the work for you.
        Shortly? Sorry about the wait.

Yes, it is, indeed, "world famous". Now in 17 countries besides the US of A.

Information is in my sig.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry, the extra 0's were a typo. I used a metric feeler gauge. (My bad). Lol

Comment

Looks like all your clearances are within spec
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

What air says. Check them again in another 5 K, may be due then. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
              X