Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

am I being raked over the coals by dealer for center stand bolts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am I being raked over the coals by dealer for center stand bolts ?

Hi everyone,

Waiting delivery of bolts
    Pins/ to attach a center stand to my 1979 gs850g.

The dealership had to special order these bits and charged me 20.00 for bolts, nuts, pins and "sleeves".

Doors anyone know if there is anything custom about these parts? Would a nut and bolt from sears hardware have been just as good ?

Thanks

Sean

That doesn't sound too bad at all for genuine parts.

I can't speak for the 850, but my Suzuki's center stand bolts are pretty specific. Higher grade steel, fine thread pattern, hole drilled for those pins, etc.. Not saying you couldn't use normal bolts, but I wouldn't try.

Comment

The nuts should still be welded to the frame where the stand mounts and the bolts are just drilled for a hitch pin type clip or cotter key, the sleeves are to fit in the center stand. Price does sound high but I wouldn't doubt that, that is what they would charge for those pieces. I would go to a motorcycle salvage yard and get the pieces first. Probably all of $5.00
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
        Hi everyone,

Waiting delivery of bolts
        Pins/ to attach a center stand to my 1979 gs850g.

The dealership had to special order these bits and charged me 20.00 for bolts, nuts, pins and "sleeves".

Doors anyone know if there is anything custom about these parts? Would a nut and bolt from sears hardware have been just as good ?

Thanks

Sean

i had everything you needed..
        i have an ad on CL for mass GS parts.
        yes these are special parts...can't go to sears and get them ect..
        i bet most big GS's use the same sleeves and bolts...

oh,
        and raked over the coals for 20 bucks...come on man..20 bucks is nothing now a days.
        smile...be happy

Comment

From my experience, I have to agree with the other members, the bolts are pretty specific and the sleeves in my case had threads within them as well.
          You could probably make other bolts work, but I would think it might be a bit wonky.
          Something you wouldn't want underneath your bike when riding or stationary.
          I bought the whole shooting match at Skips for $25 including spring & rusty stand.
          I think you did ok.

Comment

If they are the same length, I have some from a 1980 750E.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The threads in the sleeves were probably worn in from the bolts themselves....taking them in and out. The sleeves should be smooth bores. I would also wonder if the hardness of the OEM is different than the run of the mill hardware bolts.

Run some sand paper in the center stand and clean the bores good..then apply a nice messy smear of grease to the sleeves and bolts as you assemble things.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
                From my experience, I have to agree with the other members, the bolts are pretty specific and the sleeves in my case had threads within them as well.
                You could probably make other bolts work, but I would think it might be a bit wonky.
                Something you wouldn't want underneath your bike when riding or stationary.
                I bought the whole shooting match at Skips for $25 including spring & rusty stand.
                I think you did ok.
                the sleeves look like they have threads because of the force when using the center after all these years.
                your was lucky to get out of skip's without being anal=lee assaulted..hehe

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  The threads in the sleeves were probably worn in from the bolts themselves....taking them in and out. The sleeves should be smooth bores. I would also wonder if the hardness of the OEM is different than the run of the mill hardware bolts.
                  chuck you are correct!

Comment

Never thought of the bolts grinding over the years and etching threads in as the center stand is deployed but that also make perfect sense.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      the sleeves look like they have threads because of the force when using the center after all these years.
                      your was lucky to get out of skip's without being anal=lee assaulted..hehe
                      You got that right!
                      This was years ago, but I've walked more times than I've bought from that rust busker!
                      I don't even bother with him anymore.

Comment

"Raked over the coals"? Not really.

Parts Outlaw has them on their site for $12.80.

Other sites show "retail" price as $16.50.

Toss in some sales tax and possibly some shipping, your $20 tab is right in the ballpark.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i would have wanted 20 for the same parts but used...good used, but used.
                          what's 20 bucks anymore?..today it get's you 5 gallons of gas WTF?

Comment

Working...
                          X