No key!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No key!

Apparently the key (and title) for this bike went up with the housefire.

So, what is the best route for the key.
    I'd hate to arrange for a key just to find out the ignition switch is toast.
    Maybe I should just buy a new switch and key now?
    Think a locksmith could cut a key to fit the old switch?? Where to get a blank?
    Thanks
    Working on the title. WTHeck is a title bond??

If you look at the lock, gas cap, helmet lock, trunk....there is a 3 digit number stamped on it. That's the key # you need.
    All keys are available on e bay for 8-12$ or you could post your number here and someone may have one.
    You could also post the year, and model of your bike and someone will have a new ignition and key for a fair price.

Comment

Thanks - no number on the lock or gascap but it has a 114 on the helmet lock.
      Hoping they are keyed alike.
      Anyone with a 114 key I can buy? Will pay in advance.

Comment

So its a 114 key. See this guys Ebay store and scroll down to his listings .says he has 3 available

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Pic of ignition/lock, I see no number.
          Thanks for ebay link, will try that and hope all 3 are the same.

Comment

Number would be under the snap on plastic cover stamped in the metal face. be careful though...the old plastic is probably very brittle.
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I was just looking for the key number on the ignition lock a friend gave me.Looked where Chuck said,there was nothing under that cover.Was looking at it some more and notice something very faint where the locking bolt comes out.At the risk of thread jacking I need a #119 key.
              Edit:No #119 at the eBay place
              Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Unfamiliar with "Locking Bolt", SVS.
                Thanks
                Believe I will leave the plastic cover in place, 35 years in the hot Texas sun means it is ready to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                  I was just looking for the key number on the ignition lock a friend gave me.Looked where Chuck said,there was nothing under that cover.Was looking at it some more and notice something very faint where the locking bolt comes out.At the risk of thread jacking I need a #119 key.
                  Edit:No #119 at the eBay place
                  Your local locksmith can make one. Cost me about $15 + $2.50 for the blank....
                  Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                  Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                  1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by DaveInTexas View Post
                    Unfamiliar with "Locking Bolt", SVS.
                    Thanks
                    Believe I will leave the plastic cover in place, 35 years in the hot Texas sun means it is ready to fail.

Steering lock "bolt" on the back of the lock.Only place I found something that looked stamped.Very hand stamped looking to,all out of line.

Comment

is this visible only when disassembled?
                      Thank you.

Comment

Yes..the only way to get to the steering lock bolt is to remove the gauges and the two allen head screws that hole the ignition to the triple tree. This will allow you to drop the igniton out and take that with you if you decide to get to a locksmith.

BUT I am very confident that the 114 you found is gonna open everything. Easy way to get to the seat latch is to go in from the very back of the gaurd thing with a real small flat tip and you can push the latch back and open the seat. Take a look from below and the very back and youll see the latch thing sticking out..push that back and lift open the seat. Youll then see 2 screws that hold the lock assembly in...remove them and take the seat latch with you too.
                        Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-01-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Like Chuck said you'd need to get it off to see that part.I was surprised to see it stamped there.

Comment

Last time I needed one I just took the ignition switch\tumbler to my local locksmith, something like $30 or $40 and all was good.

Comment

Well %$*&, the key 114 only fit the gascap! Not the steering lock or the seat (which has the 114 stamped into it)
                              So I guess I will pull them all and have the locksmith re-key everything alike.

Comment

Working...
                              X