Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 gs850g lean angle on side stand

Hi everyone

Silly question. My new to me 1979 Suzuki gs850g seems extremely "upright" (almost straight upright).

I DO have a completely flat tire but even when filled it does not lean much. Is this normal ? All other bikes I've seen lean pretty well over for stability.

Fix your suspension, the springs are shot.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Fill the tire.

How long are the shocks? Stock ones are about 13 inches, center to center.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Shock and fork springs are likely too weak.

If it makes you feel any better, Suzuki is still, to this very day, delivering motorcycles with criminally soft suspension springs too weak for the bike, let alone a rider. The other Japanese manufacturers do the same. No on knows why.

Add in 30+ years of sagging, and, well...
        Last edited by bwringer; 06-04-2014, 01:21 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

just the way it is, my 79' same...I hardly trust it when turned right.....

Comment

Yeah, fix the suspension.

Comment

My '82 1100e leans quite far. I always park it on a brick in the garage. Two bricks and it's near upright.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Fix your side stand.

Or wait until it breaks. Up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

If it makes you feel any better, Suzuki is still, to this very day, delivering motorcycles with criminally soft suspension springs too weak for the bike, let alone a rider. The other Japanese manufacturers do the same. No on knows why.
                  'Sobvious - lardy buyers.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Fill the tire.

How long are the shocks? Stock ones are about 13 inches, center to center.

I checked mine just now. My rear shocks are 12 inches, not 13.

Comment

Originally posted by seanarthurmachado View Post
                      I checked mine just now. My rear shocks are 12 inches, not 13.
                      Oddly, I got 13" shocks for the rear of my '80 and as soon as I fitted them I knew they were effectively too short. Softly sprung ones, even at the hardest/longest setting they made pulling it onto the centre stand a difficult job. As soon as I repair the ex-Kawa Showa air shocks (new seals) I'll be pulling the spring shocks off again.
                      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                      X