Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    No snarkage. Well, not much.

I just never understood people buying bikes too big for them and then altering the bike to make it work, rather than buying a bike that fits in the first place.

It makes no sense to me.

Never understood the need to get both heels down, either. A tiptoe on one side is plenty if you have any sense of balance. A tiptoe on both sides must be enough even if you don't.
    "Common sense" is now so far out of fashion that is has become politically incorrect.
    Would you buy shoes that are too big and cut them down to fit?

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
      "Common sense" is now so far out of fashion that is has become politically incorrect.
      Would you buy shoes that are too big and cut them down to fit?
      Now she has no common sense? You don't know how or why she came across that bike, or what influenced her to buy it. She would not be the first person to buy a bike that doesn't fit well, without realizing it first. She won't be the first person to sell it and find one that does if it comes to that.

Honestly folks, if you're not helping then the 'shut your pie hole and move on' option is best. Really it is.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

The seat on the 550L really splays the rider's legs out when straddling the bike. If you remove the seat cover, shave the outer edges off the driver's part of the seat so that the corners are more rounded, and recover, you'll probably get half of the reduction that you want right there.

Does your bike have a drum rear brake or a disc? I have a lowering kit for the rear shocks on an L that is supposed to lower the seat height by 1/2". I bought it for an '80 550L that I picked up years ago, but it didn't fit because that one had a disc rear brake. it was designed for the 550L models (later ones, I believe) that had a rear drum brake.

If it will work on your bike, I'll try to dig it out and send it to you.

Between shaving the seat and the lowering kit (if applicable), you might get where you need to be on seat height.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
          She won't be the first person to sell it and find one that does if it comes to that.

Honestly folks, if you're not helping then the 'shut your pie hole and move on' option is best. Really it is.
          This would certainly be the most sensible option, or maybe ride enough to realize that both feet flat on the ground isn't necessary, or even desirable.

I am merely trying to be helpful.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This would certainly be the most sensible option, or maybe ride enough to realize that both feet flat on the ground isn't necessary, or even desirable.

I am merely trying to be helpful.
            Fair enough Kent... for now...

To OP, These ARE both viable outcomes. Selling your bike to find a better fit is sometimes the most cost effective course of action. Be aware also that there are many very good riders out there that handle their bikes with ease without being able to get both feet all the way down. One of our MSF instructors was a real Shorty McFly, he tippie toed his three hundred kajillion ton Goldwing but boy could he ride it.

Tip toeing can mean many things, if you can get the balls of your feet planted I bet with patience you can build the confidence to ride it without worry and never look back. If the very tips of your tootsies just skim the ground then maybe you want to look elsewhere, I probably would.

As for shoes, I've bought ones that were too tight and had to stretch them out... cause that's what was available. Call me silly I guess.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I like the smaller rims idea combined with sliding the tubes up the yokes, but the issue with the stands being too long, the centre hard to pull up on and the side stand might topple the bike.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Girl View Post
                Hey everyone! I'm interested in lowering my bike, and I was curious as to what shocks people use on this forum. Ideally, I would like to replace the shocks so my feet can touch flat. Looks like I need about two more inches in order for this to occur. Thanks in advance!
                a two inch drop is quite a lot.

Check the clearance between the rear wheel and fender when you sit on the bike. Two inches less there may be a problem when you hit a bump.

If you shave the seat as TOM said, that is your best bet and has no problems with suspension clearance.

but between sliding forks up and shorter shocks, it's a ratio of distance to your bum, like a plank of wood on two supports of heights you can vary.
                sliding the forks up through the tripletrees changes the geometry per wheel base. so ONE inch adjustment is about safe max as an opinion. Also,l your fender will begin to hit a fork crossbrace on a bump pretty soon
                and even this inch will only give you maybe a half inch at the seat-likely less.
                Shorter shocks (say One inch less) may give you almost an inch at the seat, but I say again,"Check the clearance between the rear wheel and fender when you sit on the bike."

HOWEVER, be careful these new shocks do not have stiffer springs than your old ones. Your weight always compresses springs font and rear so be careful you do not end up at the same seat-height on a stiffer suspension.

That's right,TATU-good one. Smaller wheels...another way to tip the plank.One inch change in wheel diameter = 1/2" change in axle height
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-05-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Now she has no common sense? You don't know how or why she came across that bike, or what influenced her to buy it. She would not be the first person to buy a bike that doesn't fit well, without realizing it first. She won't be the first person to sell it and find one that does if it comes to that.

Thanks Allie for coming to my defense. I appreciate it!
                  I am a second year med student with a 4.0 G.P.A. I can assure you what I 'lack in common sense'... I more than make up for in the real world.

As for the motorcycle-- I bought it as a hobby, hence why I am trying to gather information so I may fix it myself. When I first purchased my bike, I was wearing Nike Shox (which offer a about a one inch difference due to the shox at the heel.) So, when I sat on the seat, I was able to touch without difficulty. It was only after I had already bought the bike, and in turn tried to ride it, that I noticed I wasn't able to plant my feet flat.

I thought this forum was here to educate and enlighten people about GS's not make backhanded remarks about my intelligence level which clearly you know nothing about. To the many others that have shared their opinion and advice, I thank you for aiding me in this journey and the information you have provided me with is invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    The seat on the 550L really splays the rider's legs out when straddling the bike. If you remove the seat cover, shave the outer edges off the driver's part of the seat so that the corners are more rounded, and recover, you'll probably get half of the reduction that you want right there.

Does your bike have a drum rear brake or a disc? I have a lowering kit for the rear shocks on an L that is supposed to lower the seat height by 1/2". I bought it for an '80 550L that I picked up years ago, but it didn't fit because that one had a disc rear brake. it was designed for the 550L models (later ones, I believe) that had a rear drum brake.

If it will work on your bike, I'll try to dig it out and send it to you.

Between shaving the seat and the lowering kit (if applicable), you might get where you need to be on seat height.
                    I do believe shaving the seat is my first priority. As of right now, my bike is at my friend's garage. So, I will have to get back to you regarding the rear brakes. When I was out there yesterday checking things out, he had me sit on the bike and measured the distance from my heel to the ground. He said an inch should give me exactly what I need. Also, I completely agree about the seat providing a wider stance than necessary. I mentioned that to him, and he also said the foam could be shaved down to accommodate the difference in height. Thanks for all your help, and I will follow up with you about the lowering kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Girl View Post
                      When I first purchased my bike, I was wearing Nike Shox (which offer a about a one inch difference due to the shox at the heel.) So, when I sat on the seat, I was able to touch without difficulty. It was only after I had already bought the bike, and in turn tried to ride it, that I noticed I wasn't able to plant my feet flat.
                      If you are that close I'd suggest just getting used to it, maybe work on raising your weight up onto the balls of your feet as you walk or stand around to strengthen them. Once you get more experience you may well want a taller bike. 550E for instance.

Comment

I happen to be a little short in the inseam. My motorcycles are probably a little tall for me, especially the 1100e. Some tips that might help you out. Wear a good boot with a gummy rubber sole for a little added traction. Concentrate on keeping the weigh of the motorcycle on its wheels very little weight on your feet. When sitting at a red light use the crown of the road, if your in the right side of the lane use your left foot. You will soon get use to using your toes to keep you upright. It's really no big deal. Good-luck
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Yoo got something agin teh ladies??

I used to call my 550L 'Laverne' because her 'L' looked like the one on Laverne Defazio's sweater.
                          Not at all!!!

I, however, am not one, and have only owned L's...

Love em. (ladies and L's)

Comment

Originally posted by A-train View Post

I, however, am not one, and have only owned L's...
                            That's really strange….

Comment

Sure, she's a lady. That's what L's are for.
                              Harrrrr.....
                              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X