New OEM Cables: to lube or not to lube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New OEM Cables: to lube or not to lube

I ordered some OEM throttle and clutch cables to replace the existing ones on my bike as preventative maintenance. Do new Suzuki cables require lube? I've searched and read conflicting info. FWIW, the service manual says to lube with motor oil but I'm not sure if it applies to initial install of new cables or just periodic maintenance.

New OEM cables are already lubed.

For future clutch cable lubrication (good idea to do this annually), buy a can of cable lube and a little lube injector widget at any powersports shoppe. (Usually only $10 to $15) This is far superior lubrication (the cable lube goes in very thin and helps flush out the cable, then becomes a nice light slick lube when the solvent evaporates), a whole lot less messy, and much faster than using motor oil and an improvised funnel.

Bear in mind the manuals were written over 30 years ago, before things like cable lube, chain lube, cable lube injectors, oil specifically for forks, and many other tools and chemicals were widely available.
    Last edited by bwringer; 06-06-2014, 11:29 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If the cables are Teflon or nylon lined you don't lube them. In the case of nylon lined (not sure how current that is, now), the wrong lube will royally screw them up.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
      X