Replacing brake fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing brake fluid

This month I'm completing a major service on my '81 GS1000G.

The bike has completed 69,000 km or 42,000 miles.

I have replaced the bevel drive and differential oil and then replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes.

Wow what a difference fresh brake fluid has made!

The previous fluid had been changed when the brakes had been rebuilt with OEM seals and new HEL steel brake lines around two years ago.

The 500ml brake fluid was $5.

I'll replace the brake fluid annually from now on. Suzuki recommends every two years.

A great bang for the buck and ensures fresh lubrication of seals and no rusting of those pistons.
    Last edited by Johno; 06-09-2014, 09:15 AM.
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Originally posted by Johno View Post
    This month I'm completing a major service on my '81 GS1000G.

The bike has completed 69,000 km or 42,000 miles.

I have replaced the bevel drive and differential oil and then replaced the brake fluid and bled the brakes.

Wow what a difference fresh brake fluid has made!

The previous fluid had been changed when the brakes had been rebuilt with OEM seals and new HEL steel brake lines around two years ago.

The 500ml brake fluid was $5.

I'll replace the brake fluid annually from now on. Suzuki recommends every two years.

A great bang for the buck and ensures fresh lubrication of seals and no rusting of those pistons.
    I theorize that regular changes of the brake fluid will virtually eliminate the need for brake rebuilds.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

That's not just a theory.

But if you can feel any difference in fresh fluid from two year old fluid you had a LOT of air in the system.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        But if you can feel any difference in fresh fluid from two year old fluid you had a LOT of air in the system.
        +1 to that. Two years on fluid shouldn't result in any noticeable changes in performance. I expect it was the fresh bleeding that picked things up.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have replaced the brake fluid on my bike every 2 years since it was new. I've yet to rebuild a brake component. Even my bleed valves are corrosion free. They are also capped with vacuum caps, those help keep grit and crap off and out of them.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            I have replaced the brake fluid on my bike every 2 years since it was new. I've yet to rebuild a brake component. Even my bleed valves are corrosion free. They are also capped with vacuum caps, those help keep grit and crap off and out of them.
            You also live in New Mexico, where the humidity is very low. I also live where it is very dry and it makes a lot of maintenance/preservation much easier to manage. I bet you could have changed your brake fluid every 5 years and still not had to rebuild any brake components. The guys that live in high humidity locations have to work a lot harder at it than we do.

I am not dumping on you for changing fluid regularly, that is always a good thing to do. I am just pointing out that your routine may have less to do with it than where you live.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I must admit I am terribly un-safety-conscious when it comes to changing brake fluid on my cars, but my bikes get it fairly regularly, not just because it's easier to do, but because brakes are such a vital part of the whole thing and I'm very conscious of how much I depend on them.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X