burning oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burning oil

So i think im burning oil. I think i have a small leak somewhere but can't find it. The most that shows up from over night is a small single drip. If i ride for a while i can smell a burning smell but thats it. Is this a big issue or should i just let it go.

I'd say that is "leaking" oil rather than burning it. If it is a change, you should investigate it. If you smell it burning, look upward from the exhaust. It should be easy to spot discolorations on the exhaust-and from there find the source above.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

How much oil is it using?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Im not sure on how much oil its using yet. This is my first bike and im still trying to figure it out. It runs pretty good. I've driven it around town a fair bit. I just noticed what i thought was smoke last night while at a stop light. Im sure there's lots lof things i need to know and do and hope to be able to do them myself as much as possible. Im ordering tires and should be here soon. I dont know if its possible to swap them myself but i hope it is. Local shops charge a mint. Any oil recommendations? Should i use oil for an air cooled engine? Any other tips would be great. If i am leaking oil,will i be ok just making sure its topped off? Fyi its a 1980
        gs850 l
        Last edited by Guest; 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

If it's smoking, then, depending on the color of the smoke, it may well be using oil. You should track oil consumption/loss over the course of miles, and take into consideration what kind of riding you do (stop and go, highway ...). Then you can get a notion of what you may be dealing with. If it is leaking, find the leak.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I was reading another link that was suggested to new gs850 owners. It talked about using 15w40 rottella diesel oil. I would like to know if there are others on here that can confirm the safe use, it said that tgese old engines do great with this oil. I believe it also said synthetic diesel oil is also good to use. Any thoughts?

Comment

That is excellent oil in these motors.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

You don't have to go synth though.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Most of us on this forum and many others have been using Rotella exclusively for years.

It's good stuff.

Comment

Rotella T 15W40 Diesel conventional oil is plenty good and reasonably priced.

Comment

Thanks, it looks to be substantially cheaper than motorcycle oil. I just didn't want to do something stupid to my bike. Any brand oil filter recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by 2bearms View Post
                        Any brand oil filter recommendations?
                        Anything but Fram.

Comment

Standard oil leaks are cluch rod seal. cam cover gasket, tensioner seal and headgasket or base gasket. Oil burning could be valve seals

Comment

+1 for Anything but Fram.

Had a fram in my truck that collapsed internally.

I always use stock paper filters when possible. that's why I have a box with a half dozen spares for each bike.

Comment

Fram is no good stick to original is best.

Comment

Working...
                              X