Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffler Repair Suggestions for Small Hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler Repair Suggestions for Small Hole?

I could use some suggestions and experience regarding patching a small hole in the bottom of tail pipe (muffler section) on my '83 GS650 restoration.

The entire exhaust system is really nice and clean with the exception of a small hole (size of a dime) on the bottom of the left side muffler section. The hole is about 6 inches back from the back end of the tail pipe.

I'm sure if I start digging at the hole, it will get a bit bigger, perhaps quarter sized or so where it feels a bit soft when I push on it.

Obviously can't use the bandage method on a motorcycle, so I'm thinking I can just get some muffler repair compound (paste), clean up the hole a bit and stuff some of the compound up in there and let it cure.

Good plan or not? Will it work? If so, what's the best muffler repair compound that you have used?

Thanks much for any help.

If I couldn't find a replacement and couldn't weld or have it welded I might try the method you're talking about.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I have used some flat aluminum and muffler patching paste to cover holes that were MUCH bigger than that.

Polish up the aluminum, it's not all that objectionable.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve,

Are those just aluminum pop rivets that you used to hold the aluminum sheet metal onto the muffler? Any problem pre-drilling the holes for the pop rivets or getting the rivets to install properly?

I tried plugging the hole a while back with some muffler paste called Blue Magic KwikSteel. Seemed to harden nice and stay in the hole, which was a good trick since the stuff is kind of runny until it starts to harden a bit. But, it didn't last. The pressure in the exhaust just popped it out of the hole after a 10 minute ride.

I think I'll put some on there again, but then cover it with a piece of sheet aluminum like you did. Mine won't show much at all since it's dead center bottom of the muffler.

Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I have used some flat aluminum and muffler patching paste to cover holes that were MUCH bigger than that.

Polish up the aluminum, it's not all that objectionable.

Looks like you could have put a Yoshi badge on that and had everybody fooled

Comment

Originally posted by WingMan71 View Post
            Are those just aluminum pop rivets that you used to hold the aluminum sheet metal onto the muffler? Any problem pre-drilling the holes for the pop rivets or getting the rivets to install properly?
            Yep, just common, ordinary aluminum pop rivets.

The only real "prep work" that I did was to bang on the mufflers to get all the loose pieces that were rattling around in there close to the hole, so I could pick them out. I then used some muffler paste around the hole and around the edge of the patch, hoping that it would be two separate areas that were sealed.

I cut the patches to be large enough to cover the areas that needed to be covered, but also was careful to avoid trying to drill into the baffles in the muffler. I drilled holes around the edge of the patch, then drilled ONE hole in the muffler. After that hole was filled with a rivet, I used the patch as a template to drill holes across the top of the patch, then installed rivets in them. Only after the top of the patch was secure did I hammer on the patch to get it to conform to the shape of the muffler and then drill the holes in the muffler for the rivets.

I actually did that repair while laying in a motel parking lot in New York on one of my work assignments, so I can guarantee that there are no special tools necessary to do the job.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              ... but also was careful to avoid trying to drill into the baffles in the muffler.
              Steve,

Any way to tell how about much space there is between the exterior of shell of the muffler and the baffle inside?

Or, did you just put a stopper on your drill bit to make sure you didn't accidentally drill into the baffle?

Thanks!

Comment

The baffles I was trying to avoid are, in fact, disks that fill the diameter of the muffler and hold the tubes that direct the exhaust flow.

This is not an actual picture of a Suzuki baffle, but you get an idea of what I was trying to avoid (that middle disk):

If you look on some GS mufflers, you can see a wrinkle where the disk is.

Last edited by Steve; 09-21-2014, 09:52 PM.
                sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X