New chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New chain?

So I'm thinking I'll need to replace the chain on my bike within the next year, and I'm not sure where to look, or what to buy. I have no clue what chains are good for my bike. Any suggestions? It's an '82 GS750E

If your bike has the stock chain and sprockets (I believe 630 will be stamped on them somewhere), then a 530 upgrade is in your future. Lighter, stronger, better. I haven't done this myself, but I've heard about loads of people who called up Z1 Enterprises out of the blue and the knowledgable folk there got them squared away.

Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Z1enterprises.com is the place. They got me all set up and shipped everything I needed. Good bunch of guys.

Comment

So that covers the sprockets, but what about the chain itself?

Comment

Get something over $100, otherwise they are junk.

Comment

Z1 is Awesome!!!

Go with the 530 conversion from Z1. Call them and talk to Rob. See reply #193 to see mine!

NOTE: I haven't installed it yet...you'll have to read my thread to know why.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
              So that covers the sprockets, but what about the chain itself?
              All of the major brand O-ring type chains are decent. The premium X-ring types are even better. Properly cared for (ie. - kept clean with minimal external lube) a modern O-ring chain will easily last 20,000+ miles.

The OEM chain on my GSXR1000 has 30,000km on it and I think I had to adjust it once a while back. It still looks brand new and I expect to get another 5000+km out of it before worrying about changing it out. I clean the chain with WD-40 and a rag and then leave it dry, no lube on the outside whatsoever. The important lube is sealed inside the chain with the O-rings and external lube does nothing but attract dirt and grit that grinds the chain and sprockets down in short order. All of my chains get this treatment and they all have lasted for 30,000+km.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
              X