Chain and sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain and sprockets?

Well it turns out the trusty steed is now in need of a new chain and sprockets.
    If what little I've been able to find here on the site is correct, the advisable path to take is to convert from a 630 chain to a 530 on my 83 GS1100ES
    Pro's? Con's?
    Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated.
    Rod

Z1 Enterprises has a cool little bit of info about this. http://www.z1enterprises.com/Chain630To530.aspx

Another reason not listed is because the 530 chain you get will probably be an X-ring type instead of O-ring.

Comment

There are a lot of threads on the conversion.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by rodgs1100es View Post
        Well it turns out the trusty steed is now in need of a new chain and sprockets.
        If what little I've been able to find here on the site is correct, the advisable path to take is to convert from a 630 chain to a 530 on my 83 GS1100ES
        Pro's? Con's?
        Any words of wisdom would be most appreciated.
        Rod
        First off, there is pretty much no downside to converting to a 530 drive from 630. It is lighter, you have much better selection of chain and sprockets (if you want to alter the final drive ratio some day) and 530 is the most common chain size so that is where all the development effort is put, resulting in the best quality chain for bikes.

Second, I just had a look at this for my '82 1100E and shipping from Z1 to Canada is painful to say the least. Since you are farther from the US border than I am, I assume you aren't interested in driving across to pick up the kit from one of the numerous PO box businesses south of the 49th.

Instead, I went shopping at Canada's Motorcycle (.com) and found the parts I needed on my own. Total for new sprockets and an RK X-ring chain was $190 + GST shipped in CDN $$$. Z1 was $154 plus $58 shipping plus GST in US $$$. No contest if you value your money at all. I am not at home right now, but I can dig out the part #'s I worked out if you want them when I get back tomorrow.

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          First off, there is pretty much no downside to converting to a 530 drive from 630. It is lighter, you have much better selection of chain and sprockets (if you want to alter the final drive ratio some day) and 530 is the most common chain size so that is where all the development effort is put, resulting in the best quality chain for bikes.

Second, I just had a look at this for my '82 1100E and shipping from Z1 to Canada is painful to say the least. Since you are farther from the US border than I am, I assume you aren't interested in driving across to pick up the kit from one of the numerous PO box businesses south of the 49th.

Instead, I went shopping at Canada's Motorcycle (.com) and found the parts I needed on my own. Total for new sprockets and an RK X-ring chain was $190 + GST shipped in CDN $$$. Z1 was $154 plus $58 shipping plus GST in US $$$. No contest if you value your money at all. I am not at home right now, but I can dig out the part #'s I worked out if you want them when I get back tomorrow.

Mark
          Well Mark I just followed your suggestion and ordered from Canada's Motorcycle.
          I paid extra for a speedier shipping option, riding time is precious here in the northern reaches of our country as I expect you are well aware of.
          Thanks I'll let you know how it goes.
          Rod

Comment

Originally posted by rodgs1100es View Post
            my 83 GS1100ES
            How about some pics of the "trusty steed"?

(I just had new chain and sprockets put on my 1100EZ, but I didn't join the 530 'cult'. Haven't even ridden on them yet - waiting for new tires and fork springs.)
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

When you change to the 530 from the 630, wouldn't you have to change the final drive ratio so the speedo is accurate? That would be a con. Inaccurate speedo is no fun :P

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                When you change to the 530 from the 630, wouldn't you have to change the final drive ratio so the speedo is accurate? That would be a con. Inaccurate speedo is no fun :P
                Both my GS bikes have the conversion. No change in speedo or rpms. That's because you have to do the "conversion".
                no brainer to go to the 530 imo

Why didn't you Rob s?
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                  My speedo reads off the front wheel, not off the drivetrain.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                  X