Why is it so hard to find NEW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it so hard to find NEW

I have an 81 GS850GL. I need the rear brake rotor badly. its grooved pretty bad. Why the heck can I not find a rear replacement. Only thing I can find is an EBC disk from bikebandit.com P/N on their site is 1485278. it looks nothing like what I need.......they swear it is the right rotor. Maybe it is a generic picture I don't know. Has anyone used it?

Originally posted by smcneish View Post
    Why is it so hard to find NEW I have an 81 GS850GL. ... Only thing I can find is an EBC disk from bikebandit.com P/N on their site is 1485278. it looks nothing like what I need.......they swear it is the right rotor.
    First of all, do yourself a favor and IGNORE BIKE BANDIT. There are many other places where you can shop for parts and get Genuine Suzuki parts at a FAR better price.

However, it seems that rear brake disks for 33-year-old bikes might be running a bit scarce.

By the way, here is a list of all the bikes that had the same part number for that rear disk:
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is the customer service at bike bandit terrible or just the prices? the price on the rotor was reasonable enough to be comfortable. I guess the groves on my rotor aren't as bad as I suspected can prolly knock some out with a wizard wheel with scotch pad on it. hopeful I wont warp it... ill give it a try

Comment

They are pretty expensive for the same quality part as other dealers. Have you tried searching Ebay or posting in the parts wanted section here?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The rear disc comes up all the time on eBay - about $25 for decent one. Ask seller to measure it and send better pics if needed. Usually you can tell by pics,so go with your instincts!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Rear brake? Is that what that round plate-looking thing is? Haven't touched it in years.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Yes I have been watching ebay. I am currently working with a couple members trying to get something done. Thanks guys

Comment

Maybe the rear disc is dragging due to sticking caliper?
                http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

When I bought the bike there was no pad life left what so ever. Pi$$ poor maintenance. When I actuate the foot lever the caliper functions ok. Still going to tear them down and rebuild them this winter. The rotor is grooved from the metal backing plate of the pads being used as the braking surface for god knows how long. This is results of the six P's Pi$$ poor planning pi$$ poor performance.

Comment

Still going to tear them down and rebuild them this winter.
                    Is the bike staying in the garage until winter? If not, it would be a good idea to rebuild the calipers and MCs sooner rather than later. Even if you don't replace the brake lines and piston seals right now, the insides of your brakes are definitely in worse shape than you think. If the PO couldn't be bothered to check the rear brake pads once every couple of years, there's no way he remembered to change the brake fluid and your calipers and MCs probably look worse than this on the inside:

Last edited by eil; 08-01-2014, 11:50 AM.
                    Charles
                    --
                    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

bike bandit is a great site, never heard anything bad, besides high prices.
                      It's good for projects with hard-to-find little parts....or useful to at least get the part numbers and go on ebay, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        bike bandit is a great site, never heard anything bad, besides high prices.
                        It's good for projects with hard-to-find little parts....or useful to at least get the part numbers and go on ebay, lol.
                        X2 I too have good luck with bike bandit over the years!!
                        sigpicIt wasnt me! I didnt do it! You cant prove anything!
                        82 1100EZ :dancing:

Comment

Bike bandit has great customer service and their shipping is pretty fast. I've placed several orders with them and have never had a problem.

If you do find a new rotor for that bike it's probably going to be over 200$. You'd be better off finding a good used one on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                          X