Exhaust bending... fun for all the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust bending... fun for all the family

The Yoshimura trad way (and likely everybody else, back in the day)

And the other way...
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The second way is ruled out, as I don't have a bender that size, but the first way - I wonder if I can get enough heat from a propane/compair torch.
    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

And now we make a test

Comment

You wont get the required heat with a propane torch. That Rosebuds hitting well in to the 1750 to 2000 degree range.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That bending method takes a LOT of heat. Wonder what the gas cost would be for a whole set. Very cool regardless. Makes we want to make my own header.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

He doesn't mention it, but adding some dish soap to the water helps it move around easier during the bend and keeps things smooth. He needs a bender like that because he is using sewer pipe, 1.6mm = 0.062" wall which is at least twice as thick as it needs to be.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            That bending method takes a LOT of heat. Wonder what the gas cost would be for a whole set. Very cool regardless. Makes we want to make my own header.
            Doesn't it just?
            So very tempting. I'm trying to suss out what cheap and easily available fuel gases around here would do the job. Problem around here is the Oxy, acetlylene and others are sewn up in deposit and rental schemes that are aimed a fab workshops, not private users, and are too spendy.
            Propane/compair would be cheap and easily got.
            ---- Dave

Comment

Well if they can make a katana in a small charcoal oven anything is possible

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                Well if they can make a katana in a small charcoal oven anything is possible
                Stage bending with a firebrick hearth will make most use of available heat, get it hot enough, plonk it back on the jig and move it. Need some / lot of practice, for sure; but pipe is cheap, and the rejects can go on a ratbike.
                ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  Doesn't it just?
                  So very tempting. I'm trying to suss out what cheap and easily available fuel gases around here would do the job. Problem around here is the Oxy, acetlylene and others are sewn up in deposit and rental schemes that are aimed a fab workshops, not private users, and are too spendy.
                  Propane/compair would be cheap and easily got.
                  I think Oxy/Acetylene is the only thing that will push that kind of heat. That is a big rosebud, too, much bigger than is used in most fab shop/welding work. I imagine the air temp in that small shop space got very uncomfortable with that rosebud blasting away like that.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

If you're going to heat bend, what you need is a ring tip. Tubing ring about 6inch dia with at least three flame tips facing inwards. This ensures the whole circumference of the tube is heated as quickly as possible. A guy local to me used to do it using LPG - similar to propane I believe.Uses a LOT of gas....

Personally, I make up my pipes from bends, using oxy acetylene welding. usually 16G - or 1.6mm too. Even 2 stroke expansion chambers are made in 20G or .9mm. If you go much thinner than this they crack too easily - and get very hard to weld....

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                      Personally, I make up my pipes from bends, using oxy acetylene welding. usually 16G - or 1.6mm too. Even 2 stroke expansion chambers are made in 20G or .9mm. If you go much thinner than this they crack too easily - and get very hard to weld....
                      Greg,

I can guarantee the header pipes on the Kerker my 1100E is wearing are no more than ~0.030" or so, they are far too flexible and ring at too high of a pitch for anything much thicker. 20ga sheet is only 56% of the thickness of your 1.6mm tube, that is a world of difference between the two even if it seems like very little. I agree that welding the 16ga is a lot easier than the 20ga.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        I think Oxy/Acetylene is the only thing that will push that kind of heat. That is a big rosebud, too, much bigger than is used in most fab shop/welding work. I imagine the air temp in that small shop space got very uncomfortable with that rosebud blasting away like that.

Mark
                        Yes, I suspect you're probably right. Unfortunately, the days of waving big-ass gas torches around are long behind me. It was great when someone else was paying for it.

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                        If you're going to heat bend, what you need is a ring tip. Tubing ring about 6inch dia with at least three flame tips facing inwards. This ensures the whole circumference of the tube is heated as quickly as possible. A guy local to me used to do it using LPG - similar to propane I believe.Uses a LOT of gas....

Again, the oxy-acetylene route is barred by cost. I'm looking at picking up one of those carbon-arc torches (the kind of thing that came with every cheap-ass welder in the 70s) as I used one for a while years ago and actually got to quite like brazing with it - it took a while, but I found the knack of using it. I've discovered that some carbon gouging rods are solid and v. cheap, compared to the genuine ones.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X