Storage prep.orage t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage prep.orage t

Hello everybody, I know that there are threads that have discussed most of storage prep, but I still trying to figure out best way to go about carbs, drain or full of gas with Stabil? Some people say that if drained everything dries out, does it gunk up when stabil is in fuel?

Also I might want to change engine gaskets while in will be storage time, does that affect the way I will be storing it?

Oh and of course my bike is 1982 GS650E,
    Thank you everybody!

Even if you are doing a top end rebuild, still run the stabil through the carbs and then place them on the shelf while you work on the rest.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I discovered that Sta-bil comes in two different kinds. For fuel with ethanol you have to look for the blue colored one.

Comment

I treat with Sta-bil and leave the treated gas in the carbs. I usually double the dose, fill the tank then park the bike.

In spite of the ethanol that is everywere here, I have not yet looked for, or tried, the blue Sta-bil. The red stuff works for me.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm with Steve. For the last 14 years, I've added a red Sta-Bil to the last tank or two before storing the bike. Top off the tank with gas and I don't drain the carb bowls. Lastly, I do a fresh oil change. Never had an issue come spring.
          1982 GS1100GLZ Sold but still loved
          2008 Bandit 1250 Crashed (cager on a cell phone)
          2008 Bandit 1250 #2

Comment

Stabil rules! I have never seen blue stuff red works fine but maybe not fore e85 if that actually exists.

Comment

For over 60 years, we’ve engineered STA-BIL to be the most reliable and trusted name in fuel stabilizers and treatments. And if we’ve learned one thing along the way, it’s this: We love our boats, cars and outdoor power equipment not just for what they are, but for where they take us. They take us t

Comment

I fill the tank, and either drain the carbs, or I pull and plug the vacuum line to the petcock, then run it until it won't run. I've used Stabil, but I usually never ran it to get it into the carbs. Draining is easy, except where I have an oil cooler, and hoses are in the way. I have experienced stuck floats after refilling drained carbs, but a nice whack to the float bowls has fixed it.
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

If you are going to store the bike for several months, I would pop the plugs and oil fog the cylinders. Then once a month or so, turn the engine over by hand to change the position of the pistons and valves. How may you ask? Pull the plugs and place the bike in high gear and just grab the rear wheel and rotate it a few times.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks to all of your replies guys, I just added double the dose of stabil and took her for a ride around the block for like 10 minutes and then topped off with gas till tank is full.

Will that do the trick? Is 10 minutes good enough for stabil to get into carbs?

BTW sorry for the thread topic name, I don't know how that happened

Comment

10 minutes should be fine. It takes less time than that to run them dry. I'm planning on cutting a slot part way up the drain plug bolts, so they can drain without removing the bolts all the way. They are hard to replace when there are oil cooler lines below them.
                      Last edited by 850 Combat; 09-14-2014, 12:19 AM.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I have never used Stabil. If my bike rarely goes two weeks without at least a ten mile ride (year round), do I need to?
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          I'm planning on cutting a slot part way up the drain plug bolts, so they can drain without removing the bolts all the way.
                          Suzuki beat you to it, but they put the slots in the sides of the bowl threads.

Just loosen the bolts enough to release the o-rings, fuel will flow (OK, dribble) out.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            I have never used Stabil. If my bike rarely goes two weeks without at least a ten mile ride (year round), do I need to?
                            A ten mile ride doesn't even really get the bike or rather the oil up to temp. More like a 20+ mile ride is better. Colder the weather the longer the ride needs to be. Anyways, you should be using an ethanol treatment in your gas as it is. Prevents gumming even when it sets for a couple weeks. I pour about 2-3 ounces of Lucas ethanol treatment in my tank when I fill up after a ride. I always keep my tank full when it's setting.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                            X