Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What octane fuel should I be using?

1982 GS1100GL

I've been using regular gas, should I be using something stronger or is that ok?

Regular is good unless the engine is knocking. Move up a grade if that is the case. On an engine that does not knock running the more expensive fuel adds zero value.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I use regular gas an never had a problem
      I throw a tank of Shell premium in once and a while for the illusion of cleaner carbs and valves.

Comment

What does your manual say? 86 or higher? My bike knocks like a *itch with 86 at the altitude here (3,800+ft).
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Up where I live, Liberty gas sells ethanol free regular, its a major stop off for everyone going to Summit Point raceway, thats all I run in my bike and small engines. I always keep a shot of "starbrite" fuel additive handy for the other stations as well.

Comment

Thanks guys, I haven't heard any engine knocking so I guess I will stick with regular. As a side note, I don't have a manual, I just got this bike and I was 7 years old when it was made (1982).

Comment

Originally posted by bille View Post
              I've been using regular gas, should I be using something stronger or is that ok?
              Believe it or not, "regular" gas is stronger.

I forget the actual numbers, but "regular" gas has more BTUs per gallon than "premium".

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Go get your manual here at Basscliff's site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I always use Premium Non-Ox in my bikes, or any thing similar like a 4 wheeler.
                  Let me clarify, atleast here, octane rating like 91 or 93 isnt the same as Non-Ox, Premium Non-Ox is only available @ 2 stations near me here in SE, MN.
                  I am not sure what blend other states have but MN thinks adding food to our fuel is a good idea...... IMO, bad idea. That arguement is for another time.

I am sure this topic has been debated on every motorsports forum on the internet, so its a blah to argue about regarding performance gains.
                  That being said, with non-ox i have never had carb issues, nor have i had tank corrosion issues, or winter fuel storage issues, like i have had with regular fuel.

Comment

89 octane in the stock 8.8-9.2:1 compression ratio's that are used in these GS air cooled engines.
                    Higher octane if you have added a higher compression ratio big bore kit.
                    The human ear cannot hear detonation until it is way past causing engine damage.
                    That is why most modern engines have a built in knock sensor. If YOU have super human hearing, don't worry about it.

Comment

Over here in the UK we can get standard unleaded at 95 Ron or super at 97.
                      just been discussing with the mechanic in local bikes shop and he recommends that all bikes should use super as the lower grade now contains more ethanol which will attack 'o' rings and rubber seals inside carbs?
                      he also went onto state that he had seen bikes with plastic tanks expand when removed from bike for cleaning?
                      I use standard in my GS but have recently had issues with fuel being contaminated.
                      what do you think?
                      1981 GS1000g

Comment

Working...
                      X