gs1000g air cleaner chromed caps rubber gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000g air cleaner chromed caps rubber gaskets

Problem is, I have been riding under heavy rain and the engine started sputtering, so I circumscribed the cause to the chewed up (from previous improper fittings) rubber boots.

So, where can I find the above?
    I guess they fit the 850 also;
    cmsnl does not list them, just the covers for the 850;
    robinson's foundry neither.

thanks
    GS1000G '81

You have to use self-adhesive foam to seal these.

I don't know what it would be called in Rome, but here in the US it's called weatherstripping. It's foam with sticky tape on one side that comes in rolls, used for sealing the gaps around doors and windows.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Yes, anti-draft tape (sort of neoprenish);
      Seems nobody has patterned this item yet, I'll wait for the reply to enquires I made via mail and then take action.

Bw let me take advantage of your availability....

While experiencing the problem I also noticed, on leaning the bike on the side stand, a brown-reddish liquid, dripping from behind the chromed lid;

sometime ago. while cleaning the air filter, I saw that on top of the air box there was a dark yellow "padding" material, the consistence of felt, which was incidentally flaking a bit.

Might it be that water droplets, soaked the stuff and get coloured, or was just water mixed to oil+petrol ?

Big thanks
      Last edited by Lorenzo; 11-20-2014, 09:33 AM.
      GS1000G '81

Comment

The liquid was probably just water and oil mixed with the gunk that builds up in the airbox. The crankcase vapors are vented straight into the airbox on these engines. When the vapors from the engine condense it's very messy.

On top of the air filter element (it's a foam filter with a metal cage frame) there should also be foam weatherstripping seal. This seals the filter assembly to the airbox.

You can see photos of the weatherstripping and the filter frame here:
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Clever job on the 850's airbox.
          Mine has a K&N paper one.
          Being a "stroker" minded biker, I dread any air leaks, so I wonder if RTV silicon could be formed (easier than molded?) into the gasket/boot in question...
          Last edited by Lorenzo; 11-21-2014, 02:57 AM.
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Stick with the foam tape. easier to apply and reapply later if need be. Way less fuss also in respect to having to get the RTV or silicone absolutely perfect.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
            X