Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crankcase cover gasket superceeded? Does anyone know why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase cover gasket superceeded? Does anyone know why?

Hi, I was looking for a replacement gasket for the magneto side crankcase cover and found two. one is older and superceeded but cheaper.
    So it got me wondering what is the difference between the two?

My bike is a 82 GS650GLZ
    old P/N 11483-34200
    new P/N 11483-34210

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Just get number 17 here: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...rankcase-cover and don't worry about it.

Comment

As old stock gets used up (32 years after all!) aftermarket manufactures will crank out replacements.

Original OEM Suzuki gaskets were engineered and manufactured using better materials than some of today's replacement offerings.

Search long enough and I am sure you can find New Old Stock (NOS). However, having to sit for decades on shelves may or may not have degraded the materials. A thin coating of Black Oil Resistance Gasket Sealer should take the worries out of that particular gasket location.

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
        Just get number 17 here: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...rankcase-cover and don't worry about it.
        I would buy it at that site except the thought of paying $10 shipping for a $13 part just doesn't work for me. Especially when I found it for $14 with free shipping on EBay.

Comment

Type in the word bang for a shipping cost reduction; plus, I'm sure you need other things like oil filters, plugs, etc etc etc
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
          X