STA-BIL weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STA-BIL weight

Does anyone know the weight of STA-BIL compared to gasoline?

I'm planning on using it for my first time, as Suzi can't be started for probably a month or more.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Just put a piece of line on the nipple and use prime to drain the tank into a can and use the fuel in the car. Drain the carb bowls and be done with it. Will take 10 minutes tops and wont cost anything.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Besides it gonna dilute and be suspended in the gasoline in the tank, so your question isnt anything to be a concern.

I meant the answer is its not of any concern.....
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-27-2014, 08:49 AM.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I will respectfully disagree with Chuck. If you drain the carbs, there is no guarantee that all the little passages inside will drain, too, and they will still clog up, just like if you left the gas in them. If you are going to drain the carbs, you should also blow them out with compressed air, which adds considerably to the "10 minutes tops" that is promised.

Personally, I double-dose with Sta-bil. I thnk the label says to add 1 ounce for every 2 1/2 gallons, I will add 2 ounces. That means that you will add about 4 ounces to your tank. Run the engine long enough to get the treated gas through the carbs, then shut it down.

Why are you worried about the weight? I would venture a guess that it might be ever-so-slightly heavier than gasoline, which is about 6 1/2 pounds per gallon, but you are only displacing 4 ounces. Overall, you might add 1/4 ounce or so to the overall weight, compared to the similar amount of pure (well, as pure as we can get, nowadays) gasoline.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thats the long term storage recommendations as I remember reading them in manuals...written by the manufactrurer so......................................

Comment

I have had great success with storing with either technique; draining the entire fuel system or double dosing with STA-BIL. I use the blue MARINE formula every tank for it's specifically designed to stabilize the ethanol in the gasoline. I run it always for all you need is one soaking rain storm and your fuel could become compromised.

But I moved into Middlebury and I have a station that serves Ethanol free premium. I use that now in all my bikes.

I keep the Marine formula Sta-bil handy in the Givi case when I need to treat any ethanol fuel I need for fill ups on trips.

I also always rock the bike back and forth after the fill to ensure the STA-BIL mixes 100% with the ethanol infused gasoline.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Does anyone know the weight of STA-BIL compared to gasoline?

I'm planning on using it for my first time, as Suzi can't be started for probably a month or more.
              What he is asking is whether it floats on top, drops to the bottom or readily mixes with gasoline. It is heavier and mixes easily by shaking the bike side to side a little.
              You will, however, have to start it and run it for several miles to get the new mixed gas into those carbs.
              I would simply pour a little straight into the fuel line into the carbs with the bowls screws slightly cracked until some of the mix makes it into the carb bowls if I were in your shoes and
              was not going to be riding it for some time.

Comment

Thing is, bike won't be starting for some time. Nothing major, probably just another two months.

Definitely going to double dose it with STA-BIL.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Put it in the tank when its pretty low and then fill the tank to mix it in. Once its mixed in I havent ever heard of it seperating..thats not how its formulated to work.

Comment

Yes, put it in the tank to treat that gas and then get a can of Stabil spray for the carbs. Thats how I lay up the boat.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I think part of the problem is that Robs bike cant be started due to his wreck, so the Sta Bil wont make it into the carbs.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                        Yes, put it in the tank to treat that gas and then get a can of Stabil spray for the carbs. Thats how I lay up the boat.
                        I never heard of the spray....I assume it would just coat the surfaces?
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                          I never heard of the spray...
                          Get some. I use it in all my engines during storage. Bike/Lawnmower/boat in the winter and the Snowblower in the summer. Spray it right into the spark plug holes.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            I think part of the problem is that Robs bike cant be started due to his wreck, so the Sta Bil wont make it into the carbs.
                            BINGO! We have a winner!

I was going to have it towed to the shop a few days ago, but I'll wait another couple of weeks to be sensitive to the feelings of family members.

All I could find at Home Depot today were two ounce bottles of "Ethanol Shield" fuel stabilizer. "Treats five gallons - do not drink."

Having the carbs stripped and dipped was on my winter list anyway, as I'd like to get the choke loose enough to operate from the handlebar with just my thumb.

I'm getting thirsty...

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Thats the long term storage recommendations as I remember reading them in manuals...written by the manufactrurer so......................................
                              Yeah, and they also say to mix ATF and 30-weight motor oil to put in the forks.

Let's just say that we have products available now that were not available when "the book" was written.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X