Valve adjustment question but not really

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment question but not really

I have a few valves that are too tight on a 1983 GS750 ES that I have to adjust. (it is the adjustable stud and locknut type)
    The problem is that one of the cam bearing oil lines is in the way of where the 11/32" wrench has to be to loosen the locknut. (I don't have the right Suzuki wrench with the drop down dogleg at the end)

Can anyone tell me if it would be okay to remove the 1 bolt holding the oil line and leave the other 3 bolts tight in the cam bearing caps at either end of the oil line,
    Adjust the valve, reinstall the line and 2 bolts, and torque them down?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
    D

We like to dispense proper advice on this forum, and the proper thing to do would be to hold the cam shaft down with vice grips as they show in the owner's manual and remove the whole cam bearing cap by loosening all four nuts equally, a little bit at a time.

But if it were my own personal bike, I would totally just remove the one bolt and get on with the adjusting. I know, bit of "do as I say, not as I do." If there are crush washers on that oil line (I can't remember if there are or not), you do have to replace those whether you're living dangerously or not.

Or nip on down to the local Sears and see if they have a wrench that will work.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I got a wrench from my buddy that worked on the locknut, so all's good.
      Again, thanks
      D

Comment

i recall these bikes having a 7mm hex unlike most big GS's taking an 8mm wrench.

Comment

Working...
        X