Replaced tach cable seals today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced tach cable seals today

The PO attempted to fix the leak at some point with liquid gasket. I also stripped the heck out of the retaining clip screw when I first tried this repair a little while ago, so I used a left-handed drill bit slightly smaller than the screw size. Slow and steady drilling and the screw turned right out. Whew.

Using bwringer's tutorial (found here: http://www.bwringer.com/gs/tachcableseals.html) I was able to replace the two seals with ease. Snapped a couple photos along the way. Did a lot of cleaning, that gasket goop was all over. The fitting got banged up by the PO as well, but is still functional. Another leak fixed.

Well done getting the old bolt out using a reverse drill. i bet there was a huge sigh of relief when it started to unwind.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

You aren't kidding! That was my first time every attempting to remove a stuck fastener with one of those, so I feel pretty lucky. I felt even better when the first replacement bolt I chose fit perfectly. Must have been a good day to work on the bike.

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
      Well done getting the old bolt out using a reverse drill. i bet there was a huge sigh of relief when it started to unwind.

Comment

Nice work. I had a bugger of a time getting the tach drive sleeve out of my 850. It was stuck in there extremely well. I was just about ready to scrap the whole head but finally got it out by clamping down on the end of the gear with a vice grip and wailing on the vice grip with a large hammer. Dinged the the gear beyond usability but I happened to have a spare.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
          Using bwringer's tutorial (found here: http://www.bwringer.com/gs/tachcableseals.html) I was able to replace the two seals with ease.
          Growler...good for you and +2 on bwringer's tutorial. I did both of my 750's with his guidance . Its amazing the mess those little seals can make on the front of an engine.
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Yes, all the crud I've been cleaning off has mostly been from that seal. Why the PO didn't just fix it was beyond me. Oh well, a little elbow grease never hurt anyone.

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
            Growler...good for you and +2 on bwringer's tutorial. I did both of my 750's with his guidance . Its amazing the mess those little seals can make on the front of an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
              Yes, all the crud I've been cleaning off has mostly been from that seal. Why the PO didn't just fix it was beyond me. Oh well, a little elbow grease never hurt anyone.
              Many previous owners lack the skill and patience to do something correctly - so they rely on make shift fixes that eventually cause lots of problems for someone else. Thankfully your bike came to you - someone who cares about doing things right - and it will live a long and productive life under your watchful tinkering.!

Comment

Well done with the drilling out.
                You dodged that bullet nicely.
                My replacement tacho seal is still oil-tight a year on, despite a wear groove where the old seal lip had borne down on the shaft. If it chews through seals more rapidly, at least one source is selling either NOS or pattern parts on ebay here, for a reasonable sum - about $25 equivalent.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X