Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000L master cylinder rebuild issue

Hi everyone,

I installed lower bars on my 79 GS1000L. I had to install a shortened upper front brake line because of the lower bars. After replacing the upper line I flushed the fluid. After trying to bleed the front line properly I noticed the brake master cylinder had a bad o-ring for the plastic fluid reservoir. I bought a replacement o-ring and bought a master cylinder/lever rebuild kit. After installing everything the front brake lever won't pressurize. I pumped the fluid out while adding new fluid. Right now when I squeeze the lever it only moves the fluid around in the master cylinder but not sending it down the line.

I'm thinking I installed the rebuild kit improperly or something else is up. I was thinking about buying a new rectangular master cylinder. Since I just spent money on a rebuild kit I wanted to see if I could resolve the issue before spending more money.

any help would be appreciated.

thank you

take it apart and be sure the cups are in right. then fill the master up and put your finger over the hole the banjo bolt goes into. Squeeze the lever and let any air past your finger..hold the lver. Press your finger tight to the hole and repeat till youve got master cylinder pressure. Now, while holding your finger there, get the hose ready to be put in and start it in and tighten the banjo bolt. Now go to the caliper end and do the same..pinch the knuckle in your fingers and let air escape as you squeeze the lever. Do this till you fell good pressure and get fluid. Now hook to the caliper and continue.

The easiest way to do them is to get ahold of a Mighty Vac brake bleeder. Some parts stores will rent them out.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
    X