banging or snapping coming from the back of bike at slow speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

banging or snapping coming from the back of bike at slow speed

This just started happening a couple of days ago but my 82 GS1100GL started making a snapping/banging sound coming from what I think it the rear tire area. It only happens when I'm in first gear and just starting to roll.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be. Should I stop riding it?

Could be a number of things, all of which should be checked out. Since it's an 82, it could be the driven gear splines in the rear wheel. Could be wheel bearings. Could be an issue in the brakes. I'd take a look before any more riding.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I have my tools in hand, where do I start? I replaced the clutch cable not to long ago...could it be related to that?

Comment

Take the rear axle out, for a start, then go from there, the goal is to get the wheel off to check the splines. Have you checked the rear end oil?
        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

I haven't checked that gear oil in the back. I bought the bike last summer. Maybe a good place to start is by changing the gear oil, front and back.

Comment

Shaft drive bikes have relatively small swingarm bearings compared to chain drive bikes. They also are tensioned like a car wheel bearing, so they can work loose or dry up. I've had a few swingarm bearings on shaft drive bikes dry up / corrode / collapse over the years and they can make weird clunking noises at take-off.

Check these out while you are pulling apart the back end.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I replaced the front and back gear oil today and took it for a ride. It's still happening, still sounds behind me and still at really low speeds in first gear. Today I also noticed I can sort of feel it when it happens at my feet on the pegs. Also, clutch position doesn't seem to matter, it happened with the clutch pulled all of the way in.

Comment

I put it on it's center stand and attempted to spin the rear wheel with my hand. There is some "drag" when spinning the wheel, I think that's probably the drive shaft spinning with it?

At some point, the wheel gets stiff and it takes extra force to turn it by hand, but then it goes back to just a small amount of drag. That stiff point didn't seem to happen every full rotation but it did happen at least half of them.

Comment

Do as jsandidge suggested and pull the wheel. My bet is you're about to loose the teeth on you rear driven gear. It's the one in the wheel hub that the final drive engages.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yes, pull the wheel. You will have to remove the driven gear from the wheel. The ends of the teeth that show with the gear on the wheel will look fine. You have to pull it to actually see the wear. It happens with all the 82 models. Ask me how I know. Not to worry though, you can get one from another model year for probably 40 to 60 bucks and never have to worry about it. There's plenty of threads here on the subject.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I have never taken the rear off before. So far I have the brake caliper off, I took off the top part of the shocks and I took off the pin and nut from the axe bolt. Using a screw driver and mallet I was able to get the axe bolt most of the way out of the other side of the bike but my longest screw driver isn't long enough to get it all of the way out. I'm currently looking for something longer I can use.

Comment

Lift up on the wheel and it will reduce some of the tension on the axle. Should be able to just wiggle the axle and pull to get it out.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I was able to get the rear tire off and as soon as it came off I was able to see some damage. I took a couple of pictures of places I see damage and I'm attaching them here.

Attached Files

Comment

Also, this damage is on the driveshaft side:

Attached Files

Comment

Good thing you caught that. Could of ended very badly. You have some work to do. Looks like everything in the bearing area is rusted and void of lubricant. I'd do a complete strip of the wheel hub and replace the bearings while it's torn down. Inspect those splines that mesh with the final drive as well.
                              Last edited by JTGS850GL; 05-03-2015, 04:32 PM.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X