Over filled oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over filled oil

Yes, I made the dumb mistake of overfilling my oil. The smokey exhaust was the tip off. Last night I drained the oil down to the proper level, started it up and got the same smokey exhaust, which I expected. How long before the smoke clears? Should a good ride burn everything off, or should I expect this to continue for a while?

Cheers!
    K

Just guessing but one ride of say 10 miles should take care of it.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

wrong it will take at least 16.0934 kms to burn off the oil

Comment

Don't burn it off, it'll stop the exhaust from rotting from the inside.
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
          wrong it will take at least 16.0934 kms to burn off the oil
          Exactly. What's this "mile" stuff anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Skinner View Post
            Exactly. What's this "mile" stuff anyway?

I think they're green, aren't they?
            The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

I put an exhaust from a blown motor on a known good motor and It smoked out the neighborhood.
              I was confused at first......
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Okay, so I finally had a chance to go for a ride after draining the oil. I got the usual smoke at startup that dissipated as the engine warmed up. Rode about 15 miles and there was no visible smoke when I got home. Today I started it up and it's smokey again. Should I expect to wait a bit longer for things to clear, or could there be another problem? Compression is fine so I don't think it's the rings, and there's only 21000km on the engine. I ran it for probably 150km or so before I realized the oil was too full.

Thoughts?

Comment

if it's not the pipes it is a valve stem seal.
                  Ride it for awhile before considering this.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Skinner, do you have an airbox on your bike? If so, pull the drain hose off & see what comes out.
                    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      Skinner, do you have an airbox on your bike? If so, pull the drain hose off & see what comes out.
                      Ray.
                      Yes I do - I'll check tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X