Oil Filter Adaptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter Adaptors?

Over the Years have seen more than one bike engine destroyed from cheap replacement oil filter, anyone ever consider a modification or adapter to use better style oil filters in they're GS 1100 s ?? Must be doable, I was thinking if I could find a suitable oil Filter to use that was Well made more filtering area I could make a simple adaptor and mount it in place of the regular one? Just wondering thanx Guys ,weathers Nice gonna fire up a couple of the Bikes today for a ride Later Mike
    Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2015, 10:24 AM.

What's wrong with either a K&N or a stock filter?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You don't need an adapter to fit a quality filter.
      There are plenty cheap, low quality filters available
      Last edited by derwood; 08-13-2015, 10:18 PM.
      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Why would anyone ever use a cheap filter? The good ones don't cost much.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Over the Years meaning im Old.!! Seen oil filters collapsed inside engine with blockage of oil Passages, usually was the metal support from the Bottom to the top of the filter missing on cheapo models, Just curious if you GS Gurus ever had a design or mod to use better oil filtration Unit ? I use wix type currently, With the head Oilers and such perhaps a in line type oil filters possible like a low pressure spin off type, easy 20 second filter changes Right!! Mike

Comment

You are trying to reinvent the wheel, a waste of time.

Stock OEM Suzuki filters work just fine. First off it really does not take that long to change the OEM style filter. Secondly the OEM filter allows you to easily inspect the filter for contaminants, such as "is the engine making metal?" Thirdly, there is far less waste going in the garbage. And finally I get my OEM filter for like $6, includes crush washer.

Cheers
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

There used to be a seller on ebay with a spin on filter adapter. I just did a brief search and did not come up with anything. It was not cheap.

Comment

Hi again Guys ,I found some info on the adaptors? if this is the one? I still like the idea of a spin on/off quick change filter setuo, If yo urun a header some are quite a apin to change the filter on them. These were Interesting articles. GS stuff in them. Mike

Comment

I do like the idea of a spin-on filter, but those adapters you are linking to are to convert engines that already have a spin-on filter to a filter with a different thread.

They are not changing the layout of the filter chamber, which is what would be necessary with a GS engine.

I also agree with the comments concerning cost. You can buy quality filters rather inexpensively. An adapter costs how much? And you still have to buy filters for that, so the new filters would have to be a LOT cheaper than the existing ones to justify the expense if you expect any reasonable pay-back.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's strange how this topic pops up every couple of years.

It's a classic example of the inexplicable urge to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

One other factor is that the GS engines with roller bearings in the crank run very low oil pressures -- oil would probably not make it through a spin-on filter. And even on the plain bearing engines, a spin-on oil filter would affect flow. How? No one knows. A lot would depend on your adaptor design, so you'd have to do some very thorough flow testing to determine whether a spin-on filter is safe. Think about how marginal the oil supply can be to the top end of the 16V engines -- is it really worth taking a chance on that?

The complete list of the GS cartridge oil filter's disadvantages is as follows:
                    1) It's a little messy if you don't know what you're doing.
                    2) I'm used to the spin-on filter on my minivan and I think it's weird.

That's it. That's the entire list.

On the other hand, there are a whole host of advantages to the GS cartridge filter. For starters:
                    1) It's lightweight
                    2) It's compact
                    3) It's cheap
                    4) Its flow characteristics are well-known and the engine is designed around them
                    5) It filters effectively
                    6) The groovy finned filter cover looks way cooler than some dorky tin can hanging off the front of the engine.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      It's strange how this topic pops up every couple of years.

It's a classic example of the inexplicable urge to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

One other factor is that the GS engines with roller bearings in the crank run very low oil pressures -- oil would probably not make it through a spin-on filter. And even on the plain bearing engines, a spin-on oil filter would affect flow. How? No one knows. A lot would depend on your adaptor design, so you'd have to do some very thorough flow testing to determine whether a spin-on filter is safe. Think about how marginal the oil supply can be to the top end of the 16V engines -- is it really worth taking a chance on that?

The complete list of the GS cartridge oil filter's disadvantages is as follows:
                      1) It's a little messy if you don't know what you're doing.
                      2) I'm used to the spin-on filter on my minivan and I think it's weird.

That's it. That's the entire list.

On the other hand, there are a whole host of advantages to the GS cartridge filter. For starters:
                      1) It's lightweight
                      2) It's compact
                      3) It's cheap
                      4) Its flow characteristics are well-known and the engine is designed around them
                      5) It filters effectively
                      6) The groovy finned filter cover looks way cooler than some dorky tin can hanging off the front of the engine.
                      Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Comment

Anyone remember changing filters on a 1957 Chevy or other old canister filters on the underside of the engine? Now there was an argument for a spin on filter adapter. What an improvement they made! I think there would not be enough room to put an adapter and spin on filter on my bikes.
                        "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                        GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                        1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                        1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                        1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanx Guys Another Dumb Idea i had squashed!! Ha HA

Comment

Working...
                          X