Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malfunctioning Guages (I know I'm going faster than 110km/hr)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malfunctioning Guages (I know I'm going faster than 110km/hr)

New-to-me 1982 GS850L.

Tach doesn't work. It's been tightened at the engine by the PO but I haven't had a chance to pull off and check the cable for breaks yet.

Today I went out to see how fast it can go. The speedo hit 110 km/hr and stayed there. I accelerated and it slowly creeper up towards 120 but not by much.

I tried slowing and accelerating up in fourth. Blasted up to 110 km and the needle broke through and moved a bit higher upwards.

What's going on here? Is there something jamming the needle? It likely was rarely ridden above that speed by PO. Could there be crud built up?

I'd love suggestions/instructions on how to approach this.

Seemed weird so I tried riding some more. I was wrong about the speedo - the problem seems to be 5th gear. The bike pulls hard in 4th but once I shift into 5th it lags and only moves up slowly.

What speed should I be shifting into 5th at?

Comment

If you're trying to max out don't shift until 7000 rpm or so. Is clutch maybe slipping?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

You probably already know this but these bikes like to rev higher than cruisers to make power.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
        X