Need to know how to flush a motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R1reaper View Post
    Ok but do I just turn the motor over and over, or do I let the engine run? If I do let it run how long?
    I would not let the engine run
    old fellas pour keor into the oil filer let it sit then draint he pan
    redneck but the old bastards swear by it

Comment

I know that Pennzoil used to have a lot of paraffin in their oil. It would collect in the bottom of the pan in the form of sludge. I won't use Pennzoil to this day due to that. We found almost 2" in the bottom of a 1967 Chevy 350 pan once. Seriously, I'd run Sea Foam through it.

Comment

Well I have to reassemble the bike. oil pan, cases covers, carbs, timing chain sensor, tank, then start flushing the motor. I have heard a lot of different things. so I am just going to put a cheaper oil in it. Run the bike for a minute. Then add kerosene crank it over a couple time and drain it. Then refill it with good oil. to see if this helps the noise and cleans up the inside. I will let you guys know how this turns out. Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

You need to run the bike up to operating temp, at least, before dumping the clean up oil.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
            You need to run the bike up to operating temp, at least, before dumping the clean up oil.

V
            Thanks I had planned on running it for a couple minutes, but now I will be sure to run it up to temp. Then dump the oil. The only thing that suck is the exhaust someone put on the bike covers the drain plug. So I have to wait for the exhaust to cool down. Then remove the exhaust to drain it. Then fill it back up, and put the exhaust back on. I really am starting to hate this 4to1 someone put on this bike. Thanks gustovh.

Comment

Do a seach it takes many minutes to get up to temp

Comment

Hmmm, I've done this before, since you have already cleaned up the sump, you got rid of most of the sludge. If you want to clean out the rest of the engine here is what I have done. 3 quarts of #2 kerosene it has a heavier oil base to it then #1, add half a quart of 30 weight oil to the 3 quarts of oil. Get a nice big fan in front of the engine to help keep its cool. Fire up the bike and let it run for several minutes with the fan and I would probably run it through the gears as well to get them washed down. Once you are satisfied with the flush action. Drain it down, and pull the filter. Add a new filter and pour in 3 1/2 quarts of a non detergent 30 weight oil and repeat the process to clean out any residue kerosene. Drain, toss that filter and install a new filter and add your favorite oil, 4 quarts with filter change. Your engine should be nice and clean afterwards. And yes it will cost you a couple filters and some oil, though you want a clean engine right. Use some cheap ones for the flush.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

noway-I wouldn't flush an engine with kerosene or diesel--- Putting dirt into a thinner medium and injecting it into all the bearing surfaces does not sound like a good plan.

Comment

I'd get a couple three gallons of the cheapest diesel oil you can find and put the bike on a 1000 mile oil change schedule. Most of the sludge should be gone anyway since you cleaned the sump. Flushing the engine is sort of like using a weed wacker to remove asbestos insulation. Better to leave it be.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I flushed the motor. I used motor flush. I run the bike with cheap autozone motorcycle oil. for a total of an hour. Then pulled everything back apart. and drained the oil, and changed out the filter. It was black as tar. I also found rust on a couple lobs of both cam shafts. I want that gone too. I think I got everything out of the motor. I pulled the pan back off and cleaned it again. I am now at a stop point. I ordered new gaskets for the whole motor.(oil pan and valve cover needed now). I don't need them all but was good price and if I need them I have them. As soon as they arrive. I will put everything back together and let everyone know how it is running. Thanks to everyone that helped me with my baby. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.

Comment

OEM gaskets?
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                          OEM gaskets?
                          Yep I got a complete motor gasket set top and bottom all OEM paper gaskets.

Comment

OK I am hating this, I started all this because of a rattle/chatter in the motor. And I found a ton of slug in the oil pan. I cleaned pan, I found clutch bolt loose(tightened and fixed keeper washer) and the stator magnet bolt loose(tightened and lock tight). I flush the motor three times running bike for about three hours total. Hoping the stop this noise. After replacing oil pan, both cases covers, and valve cover gasket, and using 100 bucks in oil and filters. I still have this noise coming from the motor. If the bike is running above 2200 rpm. The noise is gone, but when it comes down to idle at a grand. It is very loud and constant. I pulled clutch in and let out. I put it gear and under a load. It comes and goes. I am going nuts try to find this noise and end it. I am loving this bike and I don't want it tearing itself apart. Any ideas what else it could be. How would I check the starter clutch. I here it spin back when I shut the bike off. OH Some one just please help.

Comment

Can you tell roughly where the noise is coming from? Im sure if i misspeak someone more experienced than me will correct but if its top end could be cam walk which is not uncommon and supposed not an issue aside from being audible. If its bottom end - if your engine is similar to mine there is a nut behind the clutch basket that I have heard can sometimes loosen.

Not sure how to check the starter clutch - sorry

Comment

mine takes ages to

Comment

Working...
                                X