Help Me Determine A Quote On '83 GS450A Suzukimatic Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Determine A Quote On '83 GS450A Suzukimatic Repairs

So I just bought an '83 GS450A last Thursday and dropped it off at my local shop to have it checked over. I am a little disappointed in all the things it needs but then again it is an '83. I wanted to list the things needed and see if anyone could tell me a good price to have all the work done. I am still waiting for the quote but since I have no clue what things cost and I am a female I would like to have an idea of what I should be paying. I don't want to get taken advantage of, and know that everyone charges different prices for things but would like a ballpark figure that I can go off of.

1. The front wheel was locked up going to need a master cylinder rebuild
    2. Front caliper rebuild
    3. Rear drum shoes replaced
    4. Carb cleaning-it is idling sky high apparently

So far that is what I know it needs, any help would be appreciated.

High idle is leaking intake boot O-rings.

If the front brake is locked up the entire brake system needs to be cleaned out. Front caliper tear down, master cylinder tear down, replace the rubber brake hose.

You should also have the valve clearances checked and adjusted as necessary.

There are lots of other things the bike will likely need so get yourself a factory Suzuki service manual and start reading.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      High idle is leaking intake boot O-rings.

If the front brake is locked up the entire brake system needs to be cleaned out. Front caliper tear down, master cylinder tear down, replace the rubber brake hose.

You should also have the valve clearances checked and adjusted as necessary.

There are lots of other things the bike will likely need so get yourself a factory Suzuki service manual and start reading.
      I was afraid of there needing a lot of things done to it. I am just hoping that the cost for everything doesn't bust my budget. I really don't want to invest too much into it since it is not going to be my long term bike. I am getting a new bike next year, and just kind of wanted a bike to kick around on this year so I don't miss out on a whole riding season. Well will keep updated on what I get quoted for all work needed.

Comment

You can do it all yourself for probably the neighborhood of under 200.00.

Item 1 here is the caliper piston set..

Shop online for OEM Front Calipers parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS450GA, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

Number 1 here for the master cylinder kit..

Shop online for OEM Carburetor parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS450GA, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

1 CV carb kit here from our member Robert Barr will actually do 2 rebuilds for yours since its a twin...and measure the INSIDE DIAMETER of the intake manifold oring groove and order 2 from him as well..see page 3 of his website..

$20.00 for a gallon can of Berrymans carb and parts dip and get at it yourself and be sure its done and done RIGHT.

Heres a website you need to bookmark and refer to often..scroll down the right side and find the CV CARB REBUILD TUTORIAL for your carb rebuilding

Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-13-2015, 08:41 PM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Note>>>>>>>>

There are lots of tutorials on Bikecliff that address every thing your gonna need to rebuild the calipers and master cylinders...so get the experience and self satisfaction form doing the resurrection yourself.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Most of us do our own wrenching so folks here might have a hard time giving a ball park for the work you listed. Most of the maintenance work these bikes is fairly easy to do between the manual and the folks in the forum. I've done my own carb clean twice in the last few years and the hardest part for me is detaching and attaching the choke cable. There are some tiny bits in the master cylinder rebuild but a little patience will get it done. The worst part about brakes is bleeding them to get the air out of the lines.

Comment

And finally.....the schematical breakdown of all the systems related to your bike....

Comment

Any members in Philadelphia that can give this girl a hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Straightedg4lif View Post
                  I was afraid of there needing a lot of things done to it. I am just hoping that the cost for everything doesn't bust my budget. I really don't want to invest too much into it since it is not going to be my long term bike. I am getting a new bike next year, and just kind of wanted a bike to kick around on this year so I don't miss out on a whole riding season. Well will keep updated on what I get quoted for all work needed.
                  But you said earlier,
                  Originally posted by Straightedg4lif View Post
                  Thanks for your input and seeing as you wouldn't laugh at $2350 I feel pretty good about what I paid.

I understand that a very specific buyer would only buy this and not the masses. I just again was curious since I do not plan to sell it anytime soon but if the situation arose I wanted to see what someone else may think it was worth (more a hypothetical, than an actual buyer).
                  Either way, if its good looks stand up to close scrutiny then any reasonable amount of money spent on it to get it running spot on won't be a waste.
                  The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Let's say they quote you $1000 to fix this stuff . Maybe there won't be any other issues (unlikely).Next year, you plan to get another bike. Do you think that you will get your investment back when you sell ?
                    I'd sell it now, and find a runner that is currently registered and on road and save yourself money and grief .
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yeah, if you have the shop do it, probably 1000 easy. plus whatever else they "find".
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I appreciate everyone's replies. I never really thought about doing the stuff myself since it just wasn't something that I was into. I understand the benefits from working on your own bike the satisfaction being one and of course the cost differential. I will see what the quote is and take it from there.

Also when I said it won't be my long term bike and not planning to sell it soon, I just meant that next year I will be getting a new bike but not letting this one go anytime soon since I will still ride it and also my husband will ride it as well. I didn't mean to sound like I was contradicting myself. I really like the GS450 and would love to have it for a long time if it makes sense cost wise. I guess I will have to start learning about how these bikes work and keep up on my own maintenance.

Comment

You gotta remember, these old GS's are all 30+ years old now. Most people don't properly maintain their vehicles, and that's a lot of years worth of missed maintenance that must be caught up on in order for the vehicle to be properly reliable.

A lot of shops won't even touch one of these old bikes because they lose their a$s on the jobs due to unexpected time/hassle/costs. One such example is replacing the valve cover gasket such as would be needed when performing a valve adjustment. If the gasket has never been replaced before it will be hardened to the point of being petrified. Getting said gasket off will take a good hours worth of hand labor. NOT fun.

I agree with getting a newer bike now instead of waiting, if at all possible. Old GS's are best left to folks that enjoy or at least don't mind wrenching. That way the various maintenance tasks can be addressed without breaking the bank.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            I agree with getting a newer bike now instead of waiting, if at all possible. Old GS's are best left to folks that enjoy or at least don't mind wrenching. That way the various maintenance tasks can be addressed without breaking the bank.
                            I would love to get my new bike now but my husband and I just opened a store and we don't want to put the money out right now for my new bike. That's why I was hoping to have this bike for this year and that gives us about a year to see how the store is doing. I really wanted to invest around $2,000 total for this bike but like I said still waiting for the quote. If the price is just more than I want to put out I guess I will try to sell it first and if no bites maybe try working on it myself. The thing is I work 7 days a week with the store and I have another job, so finding the time to work on the bike is pretty non existent. Oh well live and learn as they say. I will post the quote on here once I get it and maybe someone can tell me if it is reasonable.

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

Comment

So I got the quote today for all the repairs and it came to $475. I think that is very reasonable and will be going ahead with all the work that is needed. It will now be in tip top shape and ready to go. I am excited and can't wait to get my bike back!

Comment

Working...
                              X