my clutch cable broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my clutch cable broke

I have an 1100 GS chain drive. How difficult is it to replace my clutch cable.

On A scale from 1 to 10 I would say it is a 2 or 3. It is just a cable. Just make sure the replacement one you get is the right length. It is very easy to replace. Just take cable loose from lever, and the clamp from the motor on the clutch basket side with 10mm bolt. separate cable from clamp with keeper pin. Loosen tank so you can run new cable back through bike and hook up new cable and adjust how ever snug you want it. That is pretty much it. Good luck with it.

Comment

Maybe download a manual from the above site for step by step instructions.
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Use a cable luber and lube the new one also0 ,should last forever. Mike

Comment

Get a Suzuki OEM cable. Ive used Motion Pro cables in the past. Not impressed, plus it did not have the correct adjusters despite being the correct listing for my bike.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            Get a Suzuki OEM cable. Ive used Motion Pro cables in the past. Not impressed, plus it did not have the correct adjusters despite being the correct listing for my bike.
            Agreed. OEM Suzuki cables are the best quality by far and cost about the same or only a little more.

Also, order up a new OEM clutch lever while you're at it. One common cause of broken cables is that the hole in the lever where the cable end goes is worn egg-shaped. Again, OEM is much higher quality than aftermarket and surprisingly inexpensive.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X