No announcement yet.

82 GS650G Won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tapped on the bowls to see if the floats stuck? Have the edges of the bowl gaskets made the floats hang up and not open...its happened before to me and many members as well. If the petcock is on PRIme and no fuel will come out the drains..then whats the next logical thing in the stream.....floats

.If the petcock is on PRIme and fuel will come out the drains....then follow the path upstream....clogged jets.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Clean the carbs. Here's your guide: http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...d_Tutorial.pdf
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Have you tapped on the bowls to see if the floats stuck? Have the edges of the bowl gaskets made the floats hang up and not open...its happened before to me and many members as well. If the petcock is on PRIme and no fuel will come out the drains..then whats the next logical thing in the stream.....floats
        .If the petcock is on PRIme and fuel will come out the drains....then follow the path upstream....clogged jets.
        Fuel comes out of two of the carb float drains when on prime. I'm at the point where I'm just going to do a thorough cleaning. I already got new o-rings from Robert Barr.

Originally posted by eil View Post
        Clean the carbs. Here's your guide: http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...d_Tutorial.pdf
        Thanks Eil! I'm planning on going through this on my next free day (probably next year!? haha). By the way, I like your youtube channel. I think it helped convince my girlfriend to ride with me when the bike is working again. She had her fears due to media always showing extreme stunts or accidents. She enjoyed seeing a rider buzzing around town rambling about the average day.

A general question to everyone: When I clean my carbs should I replace the diaphragms or the float gaskets since they are still stock?

Comment

The diaphragms shouldn't need replacing if they are in good shape. If they are not leaking, the float bowl gaskets can be reused if you are careful. A little smear of engine oil will help keep them from sticking the next time you go to pull them.

Make sure you keep any plastic or rubber bits out of your carb cleaning solutions.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
          X